Interior Door Rust

I've stripped off most of the trim from the driver and passenger doors and I've found that some surface rust has developed in the interior of the driver and passenger doors. I can't get my ape-sized hands into that area to sand the rust down, and I don't want to reassemble everything, only to have it all rust out on me in 6 Months...so what do people recommend I do? Get some of that stuff that converts rust into primed metal?

Once I get this rust issue fixed, I intend to use undercoating inside the doors to quiet them down, but again, I want to prevent rust....

HELP!

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

yes do that...use a good converter...

Just my penny's worth, but i would throw some paint over the "converted" rust(rustoleum would be good) before the undercoating...(hopefully you intend to use a "rubberized" undercoating...the other may crack and fall off inside the door if the door is bowed in, like while washing. if it does crack up and fall out it will stop up the drainholes and cause water to sit in the door..not only making it a rust issue but also allowing the door to "fill up" enough that it *will* run out into the floorboard...)

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Any idea what kind of converter to use? Like a 3M branded product?

What do I do about the stuff that's kind crumbly that should be sanded....throw the converter over it anyway?

- Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

i would fashion some kind of "sanding" device....sand paper on a stick so to speak...if it is flaky and crumbly it needs to be knocked down(so to speak)... a wire brush designed for cleaning parts may work...i have a set of stainless brushes and also brass bristled brushes....they are not only great for cleaning things but also for things like this...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

If you sand it you'll lose the coating, unless you paint the area right away.

Also, it's not a bad idea to drill a couple of more drain holes and/or enlarge the existing ones just a bit.

Reply to
Mel P.

See if you can find a product called "Rust-Mort". It goes on like water, but converts rust to a neutral "primer" so to speak. You can brush or spray it on (with a spray bottle). Let it sit for 24 hours, then rinse with clear water, dry and primer. Coat the primer with a rubberized undercoating.

Look for the Rust-Mort in a GOOD auto parts or auto body supply store. The Auto-zone/Chief/Pep-boys won't have it.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Thanks!

Reply to