j-tubes for a 79 bus

is there such a thing as j-tubes for a 1979 bus ? a friend of mine has a bus and we were talking about exhausts and I was telling him about the j-tubes on my buggy, and I was not sure if there was
such a thing for a bus engine. I believe he said it was a 1969cc engine, it is the stock engine in his bus. if there is where can you find them? David
A USA 79 bus came with a 2.0L type 4 engine. 79 exhaust came in 2 flavors: Fed version and Calif version. If he has the Fed version, he has the better breathing one. Here are pics of the 2 versions. http://www.bus-boys.com/exhaustcomp1979-fed.htm http://www.bus-boys.com/exhaustcomp1979-cal.html

about exhausts and I

bus engine. I believe

them?
David wrote:

I don't know. But J-tubes originally came from VW's industrial engines. VW's Industrial Engine Division usta have an office in Chicago until VOA sued them out of business. (So they moved to Windsor, Ontario. circa 1965)
The two-liter engine, commonly referred to as a Type IV engine, bus engine, etc., was offered by the Industrial Engine Division. Since industrial engines have no need for cabin heating they are usually built without heat-exchangers, the J-tubes on the early engine being a case-in-point.
I suggest you track down a VW industrial engine supplier (VW of Canada may be able to help) and ask them.
-Bob Hoover
BobHoover wrote:

You can fairly easily strip the stock heater boxes down to "J tubes". They'll be rusty, though. :)
Most Type 4 performance exhaust systems (Worth mentioning) are complete header setups, not utilizing what you would call "heater box replacement J-tubes". In other words, they do not use a flanged connection where the stock pipes have it. There are some nice setups available, but they are all kind of pricey. I ended up making my own.
Jan