Koch's steering wheels

Ben,

I assume that you are sending Koch's your wheel and receiving the same wheel in return upon it being redone. The circumstance is certainly a reason to be peeved. However, prior to taking the legal route, see if you can get an exchange. The problem "might" be with your wheel, it could have a structural problem that can not be fixed (cracks so deep that grinding out & filling in won't solve the problem). If you have already gotten a different wheel and the problem still occurred, then it would seem that there is a problem with the process and that is another matter entirely. - DB

Reply to
DB

Ben,

I pretty much agree with you, except that it could be a case of being something hidden. Either way, from the earlier thread and Dan's subsequent reply, it seems like once a wheel cracks, it is going to crack again. Seems like you and I are waiting for somebody to reproduce a better stock wheel (you a c. 74 me a c. 56). Certainly your choice if you want to try another try with Koch and another wheel or just try & get you money back and try the DIY route - which certainly can't cost that much. Irrespective, hope you get your $$$ back. - DB

Reply to
DB

Well, one way to find out is to ask Koch's if they use different epoxy's for different vintage wheels. If not, and your wheel is of a different composite - that could very well be your problem. It would also give some thought to the whole POR-15 issue. - DB

Reply to
DB

Wolfsburg West lists them. However, my bet is they are a Koch job. At $500 plus core charge - they aren't exactly cheap. - DB

Reply to
DB

Hi, I would like to hear from everybody that has ever had Koch's do their wheels. I had mine done last winter and when I put it back on the car it started to crack within days. I just got it back from being redone and it is already starting to crack. I am considering requesting my money back and will use legal avenues if necessary. I want to hear if anybody has ever had a wheel last for any measureable amount of time. I also would be interested in hearing about wheel restos that people have done by others that they feel were successful.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Reply to
Braukuche

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Reply to
Ben Boyle

SNAFU. Live with it. The authority is John Henry. If he can tell us that his restored wheel lasted longer than a year without a crack, then there's how it should be done.

Reply to
jjs

Reply to
Ben Boyle

If anyone has a spare Batwing steering wheel in great shape, I'm _very_ interested. Had a shot at a restored but it cracked up in the year the dude was trying to sell it.

Skeptic - Yah, that's me.

Reply to
jjs

Try simple two component Epoxy glue, just make shure to get the mixture correct. Friend of mine did an old Opel steering wheel(At-least it was German..) came out great!

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Somehow I am confused,

you threaten legal action , but you have not even called Koch to talk to him about it.

Here is the shop number 661-252-9264, and he will also be at Kelly Park on Sunday.

Bob will be happy to discuss this with you and work it out. They have done 1000s of wheels for VWs and other cars.

I have known Bob for 15 years , he is a stand-up guy.

If you have a problem , be a man and call him first instead of whining here.

Reply to
Want2buy356

On 14 Apr 2004 01:05:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Want2buy356) ran around screaming and yelling:

asking others opinions and experiences is whining? maybe you your world...learn to comprehend what you read...(BTW i love posts where some dipshit(you) whines about someone else whining) have a nice day JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I had one done, installed it on a car i drive maybe 2 or 3 times a year........a month or two ago I went to move the car and here is my shiny new looking steering wheel cracked where the spokes meet the hub..Not little cracks, either....almost 1/4 " . Needless to say i am disappointed. I guess the stuff is made for show cars in a climate controlled show room or something.

Reply to
Vanagon Man

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Flat 4 in Japan repo most wheels, you can hardly tell the difference between their ones and a NOS origianal.

Reply to
Howard Rose