Live in Florida - Can I buy in Cali?

I live in Florida and the pickings are awfully slim here - alot of rust buckets - humidity and the 2000 inches of rain annually.

I see (of course) plenty of Bugs for sale in California and wanted to know if I was interested in purchasing one what would be the best way to get it here? Or any other state for that matter (well except for GA or the immediate SE) Auto train? Driving it? Truck?

Obviously the more important is the issue of buying a lemon from 4000 miles away but if I cant get it here then .....

Like I mentioned in an earlier post - I want to learn to do some resto. but since their is not much here what would be the best answer

Anyone? Class...bueler....

thanks in advance Matt

Reply to
MB

You're right on target. There's little to be gained by buying

1000 Lbs of Iron Oxide and trying to make a car out of it.

I bought a Bus from Aridzona and had it shipped to Ohio (rust belt). The thing was a qtr-century old and looked like the day it rolled off the factory floor ('cept the faded paint)! I had it trucked here on a car carrier; well worth the expense.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Matt, What part of FL are you in ? Yes, there seems to be alot more VW's available in the Cali area but with some patience and time you can find some great deals and cars in our area. Check out the VW clubs in your area and their web sites. Often they have a classified section. And don't forget the Samba is a good place to start too.

Susan

74 Std Betty......( who is still at the paint guy's house *@!%#$ )
Reply to
Susan S

Reply to
ilambert

Several alternatives, assuming the deal is done and you need to get car from point A to point B:

  1. Have it brought by car carrier. Approximate cost, from CA to FL, about ,000 to ,200.
  2. Fly there and drive the car back. Airfare - 0 - 0, gas/oil on the way back - 0, food/lodging - 0. Need about 3-4 days.
  3. Fly there and pull the car back. Airfare - 0 - 0, cross-country rental of small U-Haul truck and car dolly/trailer - 0, gas on the way back - 0, food/lodging - 0. 3-4 days.
  4. Drive there with a tow vehicle, pull the car back on a U-haul trailer. Gas out and back - 0, trailer rental - 0, food/lodging - 0.

Any way you go about it, you're looking at over $1,000. Note that option 1 doesn't require any of your time. The other three will require from a few days to a week of your time (or someone's time, that you might have to pay for) to accomplish.

As a couple other posters have pointed out, there are a few hotbeds (or at least warm-beds) of ACVW activity in the southeast. In particular, north and west Georgia folks have a lot of nice VW's running around, given the fact that Jake Raby builds engines up in Cleveland, Herrell's over in Carrollton restores vehicles and Overton's up north of Carrollton restores VW's regularly. I see a lot of Georgia cars on the Samba.

Reply to
Malcolm

Utah is a good place for VWs. Got two from there and they are pristine. Another good place is around Oklahoma City - check it out around the last half of the second semester of college when students who've never turned a wrench or charged a battery give up and sell out of pure desperation for a plane ticket. Hell, get a transport and haul back a dozen.

Reply to
jjs

You could always pack a dozen MREs and a bedroll into a backpack, hitch-hike out there, buy the car, drive the car back. Should cost less than $300 total for the whole trip assuming the car doesn't break down. Think of it as an "adventure". Unless you're SCARED!!! :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

I think I'd just take a bus out and drive the car back. How much are tickets from coast to coast now? $20-30? It's been a while since I took a bus.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

If you want to take a beater and rebuild it with your own ideas in mind, then why not get something local. You can find the right car for you. One that fits your budget, skill level and your desired outcome depending what you are willing to put into it. Just don't settle on the first one you come across or something that is well beyond your ability. Also don't be clouded by the magazine pictures... a true daily driver is going to get dirty and banged up afer a while...lol

Hell I bought a beater and poured alot of time and $$$... its still not done, I enjoy working on it and I bought another one in better shape to drive daily.

but then again, are they ever really done?

Reply to
dragenwagen

Tampa to Los Angeles, one-way: $172.00 Travel time ranges from 2 days, 5 hours, 44 minutes to 2 days, 9 hours, 35 minutes.

Reply to
Malcolm

That would be more in the spirit of the vehicle, now wouldn't it?

(Looking for on-line prices for MRE's as we speak....)

Reply to
Malcolm

Why not move here? You can buy car parts over the counter and eliminate shipping costs. I bought a 1550 sq.ft. 50 year old home less than a mile from world famous(?) Knotts Berry Farm this July for $465,000. My driveway and my neighbor's driveway are separated by a whopping 5 feet of dirt. Home prices in Orange County went up only 33% in the last year.

Randall

Reply to
Randall Post

That's why. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

hey great advice..thx..The Samba is a great site and addictive for those looking for a beetle.

What I find a little strange is that since these things are subject to rust/corrosion that there are many cars on there that dont have pics of the undercarriage/heater channels/door hinges etc to show rust damage if any.

Also, thanks for the note on GA and NC I will definitely check them out as well since they arent 4000 miles away ---

Hmmm I guess I could make a stop in Las Vegas then Cali then back from Cali stop in Vegas again....

BTW - lodging? thats what rest stops are for. LOL

thx Matt

Reply to
MB

True. My brother used to frequent those accomodations back in his college days.

WalMart has a program wherein they allow anyone traveling through with a trailer or motorhome to stay overnight in their parking lots for free. I guess if you parked out towards the end of the lot, you'd be OK there, too.

Reply to
Malcolm

You sure? I paid under $400 to have mine shipped from the San Francisco area to the Chicago area. Granted Florida is further away than Chicago, but far enough to more than double the price?

Reply to
Seth Graham

Reply to
ilambert

I have a 1972 Yellow Bug that hasn't ran for 7 years that I would take $2500.00 for that only has 29K original miles on it and is in really good condition except for a dent in the passenger side door. This car could easily be made to run.

BTY it is in Oklahoma a little closer to Fla.

Reply to
Wulfdog

Ouch !!! Here that much will get you 3000 sq ft, brand spankin' new in a new subdivision !!!!

Susan

74 Std Betty

Reply to
Susan S

It'll get you even more than that around here, but don't spread it around. We're already growing so fast we can barely put down roads fast enough to keep us from gridlock. $250,000 will get you a

2700-2800 sq ft house in a nice neighborhood around here.

Reply to
Shaggie