Losing Oil

I am new to VWs but have been looking round for a little while for a Beetle, on Saturday I thought that I may have found the one for me, unfortunately after the test drive I found the a small puddle of oil had formed under the engine after the car had be parked for only 15 minutes. The car was a 1969

1500 Beetle.

Is this a characteristic of this engine or should I assume the worst and assume an engine rebuild is required when negotiating on price.

Regards Martin.

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

Probably just pushrod tubes...easy fix (esp if you do your own work) Make sure its not leaking from the gearbox join, as could be rear engine seal. Bit more grief to sort out. Still do-able though. If you are not doing the work yourself, then could start getting expensive. Remember, these cars are old, and you are buying a lifestyle, as well as a car. All things considered though, if the rest of the car is good, a secondhand engine can normally be had pretty cheaply.

Personally, I dont worry about engines so much here in the UK....The heater channels should be your main concern...Check them VERY carefully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neil

Reply to
Neil

I currently have an old Land Rover so I understand the lifestyle reference. :-)

How would I be able to diagnose either of these suggestions?

Thanks for the Help, Martin.

unfortunately

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

I really can't remember if I ever saw a beetle without an oil leak. After parking mine on the garage I put a plastic under the engine because of the oil leak and it has rebuilt about 10000Km and 9 years ago. As someone said here "Old VW's don't leak oil, they mark their territory"

Joao

Joao Eliseu

If you own a "landy" you must already be prepared to work on your car, and this is the key!!!....doing your own work on beetles is easy, as its not rocket science. Paying somebody else, often makes them un-economically viable, depending on how bad it was to start with. There are several good books worth reading, inc Muirs "how to keep you VW alive" etc that will give you good tips. A competant mechanic,(who knows vdubs) should easily have the engine out of a beetle in a couple of hours, quicker with a partner. See if you can work out where the oil is coming from.You can see the pushrod tubes under the bottom of the engine (should be concealed by tin) by arranging a mirror). If the oil leak appears further towards the front..ie, nearer the gearbox, then its probably the main crank seal ( not difficult, very common, but means dropping the engine to change it, although this givs you a good chance to check out all your heating controls, exchangers etc at same time). I still say, check for rust/welding on your heater channels.......the bits that run down the sides of the car, under the carpet. Tap them hard, try and squeeze them..etc etc, as if they are on the way, they often spell the death knell for a beetle, unless you have your own welder etc (probably have, if running a landy).

Are you in the UK?, and can you get parts easy, will maybe help you decide. I use German and Swedish mostly, although not always for panels, as they are thin.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Prepare yourself to change the clutch plate also and clean all other components of oil if the front oil seal is leaking badly.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)