Loss of power

Hey all, I dunno but this may be a pain of a problem but I guess I may as well ask here seeming there seems to be at least a couple of smart ones here :).

Basically, when I start my 1972 1600 Super Bug in the morning and at the moment it is reasonably cold, I usually try to let her warm up for about

5mins before I head off. The problem is, that if I leave her idling much more than 30secs she goes to stall, so I have to put my foot on the accelerator.

As I drive down my hill then get to the bottom, I slow down to turn onto the main road, and as I turn and start to put my foot down I get a bit of power and then almost nothing, she kinda goes back to idle, not quite stalling but close to. This happens a few times on my way to school, usually under load, ie. up hills or from lights. By the time I get to school she is all warmed up and then seems to be fine.

At times it was doing this also when she was warm but I checked the points gap and readjusted it cause it was way out. This stopped it from happening when she is warm but she still does it a reasonable amount of the time when she is cold.

I was thinking maybe a choke problem, ie its not actually activating itself properly, something I am yet to check. I have checked the points gap about 3 times now and its perfect so its deffinately not that.

Is there anything else it could be???

I know this was a long story to get to what was probably in the end a really simple problem to explain but oh well thats me. Thanks to anyone that actually reads this whole thing through.

Thanks heaps, any help or suggestions would be great,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Phillips

Adjust the choke.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

"As I drive down my hill then get to the bottom, I slow down to turn onto the main road, and as I turn and start to put my foot down I get a bit of power and then almost nothing, she kinda goes back to idle, not quite stalling but close to. This happens a few times on my way to school, usually under load, ie. up hills or from lights. By the time I get to school she is all warmed up and then seems to be fine. "

I would suggest checking the carburetor pre-heat tubes to ensure they are getting hot and perhaps adjusting the choke so it stays on a little longer. Waiting 5 minutes to leave after engine start is not helping matters, ideally you should leave immediately. The entire time you are idling the choke is gradually coming off. When you finally leave the choke is going to be almost or completely opened up, but your engine is going to still be relatively cold, and thus you get the driveability issue you are reporting. A properly adjusted choke should allow you to start the car and drive away immediately.

Chris

Reply to
Hal