Magnesium Case with pitted degradation

Hi,

We took apart a used 1600 motor that had been sitting for years and found degradation in the bottom of the case around the oil filter screen. There appears to be no problem with any mating surface or bearing surface. Our guess is moisture and magnesium don't like each other. It visually looks rough and chewed up on the interior bottom

Should we continue with line bore and rebuild or throw away and look for another case to rebuild?

If we should throw away...why?

thanks marshall

Reply to
MarshallE

Robert

Post some pics.. maybe after someone sees the actual condition, they could help. You use words like chewed up.. I would automatically say trash can.. but I don't know if you are exagerating or not.. and I would hate to see a good case go to the dumpster.

MarshallE wrote:

Reply to
payments338