Master Cylinder Problems Part 2.

I finally got some time to work on my 68 Autosick bug and am trying to install the Master Cyliner. I just got new 3 Plug Stop Light Switches but my problem is hooking up the top connector. On my old Master Cylinder it has a rubber piece that the plastic piece on the rod goes into to. On my new Master Cylider I have a Bigger Rubber piece with a plastic piece coming out and the plastic piece on the rod from my bug will not fit./ I tried removing the plastic piece from the Master Cylinder but the whole is too big and the rubber piece from my own one will not fit the new master cylinder. IS there an Adapter I need? I have pics before. The small rubber piece is the one from the old master cylinder. Thanks for any help or advise.

Pic 1

Pic 1

Pic 1

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

you are talking about the hoses that connect the metal lines from the reservoir to the master cylinder plastic feed tubes/pieces. Replace those hoses and make sure that all caps are removed off of the new brake master feed pieces. Leave the plastic feed pieces inside of the new rubber seals in the new master cylinder.

Or am I wrong here?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Yes that is the piece I am talking about. The Reservoir Lines. When you say remove all the caps you mean the whole plastic piece? So basicly I am getting new metal lines and rubber extenions? What will connect to my plastic pieces on the New Master Cylinder?

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Nope, he refers to the plastic blindplugs installed in/on the white plastic barbed hose connectors on top of the M.C.

Your aluminium lines from the reservoir should have two cloth covered pieces of flexible rubber hose attached to them. These two goes on the white barbed plastic fittings seated in their respective rubber seal on top of your new M.C. Get it? :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Ok I understand now. Where Do I purchase the Rubber Hose and the Metal Lines? I have been purchasing my parts through ebay or JC Whitney.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Try

for quality stuff, I have used regular rubber gas/oil line for some time, but some argue they disintigrate and will foul up the M.C.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Plus they start to leak fluid through...

The brake fluid grade hose used to be blue cloth braided. DOn't know where to get some today.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It is still blue. There are a number of places which will sell you a meter of it in the 7mm diameter for mid-67 on. Millerstamp is a good seller on ebay who always has some on auction.

I don't know about the earlier 5mm hose. I assume it was blue also, but I'm just guessing, and I don't know if it's still available anywhere.

-

Jim Adney

I ordered the Rubber Hose of ebay do I still need the Metal Piece or does the hose replace that? Do I just cut the lenght I need?

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

I have replaced the metal reservoir-to-mastercylinder lines with one piece hose, there's no reason not to, that I could think of.

If you used the metal lines in between, you would have 2 more hose joints there in each hose that might start leaking some day.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

You can cut the length you need if you have enough. I recomend replacement as it was. There are certainly good reasons for the pieces that are original. On of the biggest reasons to use four pieces, is the stuff costs a bunch. One on each end of the metal tube in the same length as what you are replacing is correct. I kinda feel like the area you will be running the hose through, is a bad spot to run rubber hose. This is why the metal tubing is used for that stretch.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

You should have a reservoir at one end and the MC at the other with a small plastic elbow in the MC. In between there is a long metal tube which runs most of the distance between the 2. The connections between the MC elbow and the metal tube and between the metal tube and the reservoir are made by short (~3") lengths of the blue hose. The small pieces of blue hose are the only parts that generally need to be replaced.

-

Jim Adney