My 1600 no longer leaks, read on!

Ever since the rebuilt, my 1600 was leaking oil at a rate of nearly a liter every month, for some obscure reasons, bad assembly, defective seals? Who knows...

Anyway. I had the engine tuned-up back in april and noted that oil leakage has dropped sharply, despite running on synthetic. Indeed, I poured-in the first liter about a month ago.

My mechanics could not readily explain this but we eventually traced the source of the remedy : at the tune-up time, he put back on that hose that connect the oil filler tube to the air filter intake. That hose was overlooked at rebuilt time in 2001. I initially figured it to be optional and since I had no oil spill at the open tube and the car ran well.

The vaccum created by the air intake would keep the oil inside the case instead of letting it go down the crack/leak.

I thought that my story could help someone else, hence my posting :)

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

Is this a fuel injected T1 engine? It is nice to know some more specs. ;-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

No, it's a carburated 1600 in my '72 SuperBeetle.

The hose is here to suck up fumes escaping from the case back into the intake system. Retaining the oil from droping outside is just a side effect of the slight vaccum created in the case, I guess.

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

AFAIK If the crankcase had no operational breather system (plugged up possibly), the blowby created inside of the crankcase could force oil out of the engine usually through the rear crankshaft pulley.

dave