New problem today

the truck just quit on the road. turned out to be a new one on me. the points pivot point must have lacked lube as the points wouldn't spring closed. Pulled the dip stick put a drop on the post and voila .. On the road again. anyone ever have that happen?

Reply to
Okikuro

Wow, never had that happen.... have had the fibre block on the points wear down (due to lack of lube) so that it "suddenly" quit running. Another time I had adjusted the dwell buttoned it up, drove 40 miles to work, then went out to my car to drive to another job site and about 1 mile down the road it started making a racket and sputtering.... turned out I had not snapped down the distributor cap... it had just been sitting there in place the entire time..... rotor dug up the inside of the cap once the cap came part way loose. Had to call a VW friend and get a spare rotor(I happened to not have one with me at the time). But never the post lacking lube.... I thought it had nylon on there somewhere.......

Glad you got'er going! KWW

Reply to
KWW

Yes I have seen that before even on my '70 Beetle with 18 year old points. I think it is usually due to old age but how long do the new ones sit on the shelves! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1