Newbie would like some advice

Hello all;

I'm the proud new owner of a (previously) one-owner '68 beetle. The car is all original save a paint job sometime in the '80s. It hasn't run in 9 years but the owner (my neighbor) tells me it was fine when it was parked. Long story, but I believe her. I'd like to get up to speed before flooding the group with a bunch of tired, already answered-a-thousand-times questions . . . is there an archive of RAMVA somewhere on the web that I can peruse?

Thanks all.

Josh New owner of "oh sh*t, what did I get myself into" Beetle.

Reply to
JC

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:24:08 GMT, "JC" scribbled this interesting note:

Look here.

Search the archive. Most questions have been asked and answered. Occasionally someone puts a twist on things or needs a quick answer, and that's why we're here!:~)

John Willis

"JC" wrote

Hello Josh. Welcome to VW ownership and to the newsgroup. There are a lot of very helpful, knowledgeable folks here.

In addition to the archives, you might want to read some of the articles here:

Especially these two:
hope that helps

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Hello and welcome. This is exactly the right place, and don't hesitate with the questions or ideas. I ask the "dumbest", and have always gotten help here. You might want to look at theSamba.com if you want to find a neat place online, but RAMVA is IT!

Reply to
pmbedard

Step #1 - Buy one or more good shop manuals. Bentley has one for '66 thru '69 models. If you plan to do any work on the car, you need this one.

You will have some problems bringing life back to a car stored that long, mainly fuel-related. Patience required...

Speedy Jim Elec info on my web site:

Speedy Jim

Hello;

Thanks for all the responses. After replacing all the brake components (shoes, cylinders, lines, hoses, etc). I'm going to start on the engine next. I've found several articles on waking a sleeping bug while minimizing engine damage, so I think I'm OK there. Mainly right now I'm checking out electronic ignition alternatives, as I've never dealt with points and would rather avoid it . . .

Thanks again, Josh

Reply to
J Charlet

Josh,

You're not the only newbie around. I'm a total beginner when it comes to automotive mechanics and somehow found myself with a 71 bus. I have pestered the kind folk on this newsgroup mercilessly with questions and can offer a few tips:

  1. Do check out the manuals. Muir and the Bentley manual are considered reasonable resources. If you have determined that the answer to your question is not in a manual, be certain to mention in your post that you checked the manuals. Good posts will trigger a torrent of responses and most RAMVA-ites will thoughtfully trim nonessential text from their replies, to avoid unnecessarily long replies. This will unavoidably result in the removal of the statement that you already checked the manuals for your answer. Which will then cause several posters to suggest that you check the manuals.

  1. The fellows on this group are very, very knowledgeable about how these cool old cars work, and will cheerfully share what they know. Proper etiquette is to tip the guys that helped most. This is traditionally done via Paypal, through a sort of a "central clearing house," set up at snipped-for-privacy@sendmebucks.com, where it is forwarded to the deserving party. Twenty dollars is considered a fair tip when you consider the quality of the service. Don't forget this important detail or you'll soon find even your simplest questions (like "Where have I left my car keys?" answered with "Read the manual." Even though you have read the manual.

  2. Finally, don't be afraid to experiment. These are dependable, forgiving little cars, designed to be serviced by total morons. I know - my bus is still running. I have had great fun pulling various metal and rubber bits off my engine and car and now have an oil-soaked boxful of unidentifiable parts, though I think one part might be a carburetor.
Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot