tunnel to pan connection

Hi all Just got a 72 regular beetle and am evaluating what needs to be done.

It will need floors, heater channels and one of the door post bottoms will need to be reconstructed. The engine/tranny is in very good shape.

Along the tunnel a lip exists that one normally welds the floor pans to. On mine, there's a gap between this lip and the tunnel. Is this lip part of a plate that's welded along the bottom of the tunnel? Or is it something welded along the edge of the tunnel?

It looks like a plate, but can't tell until I get under the car and haven't done that yet. Could I "just" (after taking the body off, that is) flip the frame and weld a new bottom plate back on?

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
Remco

Throw it away. Find a better start. Don't waste your time and money on it.

Reply to
johnboy

Reply to
Ben Boyle

the "tunnel" or "spine" is a two piece unit through the car...the upside down "U" shaped part is welded to the bottom plate...there should be no gap...the bottom plate is, as you speculated, wider than the upside down "U" shaped part so the pans can be attatched to it....sounds like you have a project ahead of you, but honestly rust repair is easier than collision repair, so if the car is, so they say, "straight" you will be okay....you seem to have a good attitude, so go for it....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks, Joey - That's the reply I was looking for.

Reply to
remco

you are welcome...shall i begin cussing now? LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Please do -- you might get a cramp if you don't.. :)

Reply to
remco

or i might explode.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Then maybe you should "let it go." hahaha!

Reply to
Shag

hehe...quick on your feet...."good one".....or something...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

? ! ? ! ?

Rust is just rotten metal, you can easily replace it.

Time is yours .. you have time or you dont !

I dont realy care if a car needs time spending on it. My free time is 'free' !

Its the pleasure you get from doing it that counts .

Have fun !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Something like this for a cross section. The horizontal *straight* lines are the pans, the other two parts should be obvious. This is a quicky sketch so please excuse the messy appearance.

This is basically a proper assembly of everything I have disassembled. There is space in the picture to give definition, not because there is supposed to actually be space between the pieces.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

Reply to
MUADIB®

excellent visual here...(your diagram is right on Scott) this site is about "inside a bug"....

Joey Tribiani

Poy-fect! Thanks, guys! That made it really clear.

Reply to
remco

That's what I think too, Rich: I enjoy the work most as well.

Reply to
remco

Depends where he is. That is a pretty decent "project car" over here in the UK! Usually you will have to replace the entire bottom 6".

Reply to
Howard Rose

Climate here in New England is pretty similar to the UK (hence the name, right ) One takes the rust with the good. :)

Reply to
Remco

Reply to
ilambert

Hey, you can be all kind and gentle and waste the man's precious time and money. I have more respect for his effort. A bug that late in that kind of shape is junk.

Reply to
johnboy

actually at this date, the later bugs(around 67-up or abouts) are more rotted than their earlier siblings...i have read that the steel source was changed at around that time and the later steel wasn't as "high quality"....my 68 bug has less rust(and has been a daily driver *all* its life until i got it a few years ago) than my friends 74 that was garaged most its life...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani