Now the ball joints... .. .

Still working on that homebuilt dune-buggy monstrosity the in-laws gave the kid. I'm actually getting the feeling this may be one of those items that fall into a category I call 'gifts that keep on taking'.

Good news is that, I did have a leaky fit at the intake manifold and I now have a right side of motor that fires (runs horrible, but now fires).

However, after running some Sea Foam through the carb, we took it to the fields to see if anything sticking on that side would free up and... broke a lower ball joint before we even got it warmed up

I see Advanced Auto can get them cheap but over 5 days delivery and saw an ebay store that could get them sooner for a couple of bucks more, of course.

Q: While at the ebay store I saw a note that said they have to be pressed in. Is this different, somehow from a regular old ball joint? The entire ball is pulled through and it appears to me that I should be able to smack the remaining stuff down out of there easy enough and then just crank up a new one. Is there something special about these that I can't just put it in and then tighten?

Thanks.

Reply to
rdoc

If the old ball and stud are now smashed out, you may be able to collapse the "shell" that remains in the arm. Saw thru the O.D. of the shell is one way.

But the eBay guy is correct; the new joint will take a hyd press of roughly 10 Tons to press it in. AND....you need some tooling to fit the arm and the joint snugly.

If you do it, note that the joint has to be oriented in the arm so that the ball/stud will travel correctly (fore and aft).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim