Octane rating math question

Problem 388. Joe Driver has a 71 VW Type 2 with a new 1776 engine. The engine has w/Engle 100 cams, and is probably pretty mild all around since the previous owner was an old hippie lady. Is there general recommendation about what octane rating he should use? Other than, start with the cheap stuff and if it pings, move up. Assume that Joe has no engine analysis equipment.

Sidebar problem for extra credit: how audible is pinging in a bus?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

................Modern gasoline formulation is so different compared to what it was during the 60's & 70's that I just put premium in my bug no matter what. I know, 93 octane is supposed to be 93 octane but I'm suspicious of what the government and oil companies have been doing and it can't hurt to be safe (except of course in my wallet).

Reply to
Tim Rogers

now I can't hear so

...................To avoid the heartbreak of spontaneous flatulence, try facing south with your head turned to the left.

Reply to
Tim Rogers