Oil leak fix

Fairly recently, I had a link that dealt with solving the VW oil leak that occurs at the oil drain plate area. The author talked about using Lock-Tite to coat the gaskets or something similar to that.

I've lost the leak. Does someone have it?

Reply to
Oldman

Heh, heh. I have your leak.

Not Loc-Tite, I wouldn't think. I use a thin film of silicone (RTV) on the cardboard gaskets. Yes, it makes them a little bit sticky when you go to remove them... The silicone works on those crappy copper rings too! And for those concerned that all that silicone will get sucked into the oil pump and clog the bearings-rubbish; the film of sealant on the cardboard is mostly absorbed.

Come to think of it, gasket sets made out of thin silicone rubber would be a nice feature...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

This brings up a question I've been waiting to ask...Why do they use cardboard? Is it because rubber deteriorates or because the gaskets must be so thin, or??? I have thought about using a little RTV on my gaskets as well but didn't know if it would mess things up if it got into grease, fuel or oil. Also, was leather used on all seals or just the oil drain plate?

Mike Rippe

1970 Type II "George"
Reply to
ThreeMile

The cardboard was used since day one (although the original may have been a better grade...). I'm sure it was seen by the designers as a very "frugal" solution.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yeah Speedy, it was a Loc-tite product the guy had been using. His claim was that it took care of all the oil leak issues. I know they do make a pipe dope type of product but I don't believe that was the one he was using. I'm willing to give it a try if I could find the link.

Reply to
Oldman

heh, I made intake manifold gaskets from my first 912 out of a shopping bag (paper, not plastic) and some self-leveling silicone that is used to fill cracks in sidewalks. that stuff is good to 600 degrees F or so.

the previous owner had honked down on the ears so hard that they were bent and I couldn't get the car to idle because of the air leaks - even with new gaskets. eventually I pulled them and cleaned them up proper with a piece of glass and wet/dry sandpaper but the silicone gaskets worked great.

knt

Speedy Jim wrote:

Reply to
knt

Yep. Silicone is the ultimate panacea!! Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You're right; I certainly wouldn't use it in a carb... Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote

Yep, I agree that silicone is the ultimate:

Oh wait ... I though you said pacifier.

hehe

Reply to
Scott H.

Looks a lot like my second wife.

Reply to
John Stafford

Looks a lot like my next ex.

jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

"John Stafford" wrote

I'll take your seconds. ;o)

... or was it the `princess' that you sometimes speak of? :oO

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

I have run across some very nice oil-impregnated gaskets on some of the newer mexibeetles. Same thickness, similar to gaskets on water-cooled engines, and they didn't leak. Just looked like some Gascacinch (sp?) on 'em. Haven't found any to purchase, though.

Jason in Albuquerque

Reply to
Lantrip