Original or custom?

Guys,

I have a 1972 Wesfalia T2. This bus is in great shape (I would say almost perfect).

My question: What so you think is best, keeping it as orignial as possible or customizing for modern convience?

The bus was cherry until about a month ago. My dog hallucintes and while chasing lights in the back, ripped the original Seats on the Bed/Back Seat.

I was thinking of redoing the interior with more modern materials (kind like pimp my ride). Also, the front buckets are beginning to get cracks.

I have been trying to find pre-made original type material to redo the seats, but it is confusing as to what to get and from where.

I was also going to put in a second battery (deep Cycle) to run my stereo and lights and Laptop while on the road.

Do you think that a 72 westy, all original, woould loose resale value if I did these things to it, or should I stick with vintage and make sure it is as built?

Thank in Advance,

Roger Colorado

1972 T2 Westy
Reply to
Roger

Oh and one other question... Will my generator have problems with the dual batteries?

Reply to
Roger

Roger, I have an '82 westy and I left the original route years ago. You will live in this vehicle for extended amounts of time while you are camping. You need updated conveniences, I assure you. Replace that bed and seats with upholstery that is both thicker and firmer. You should use a cover material that is semi-impermeable, I like naugahyde(sp?). That way you can sweep the dust and crap off of it. I installed a second electrical system. I use two AGM batteries to power my auxillaries. The batteries are fed by three solar panels on the roof. I have a solar charge controller between the batteries and panels. If you are in the northern hemisphere, you just point the nose of your westy North. When you pop the top, you are angled enough to gather plenty of electricity. Since you now have an abundance of power, use it on the stereo, more lights, and perhaps a couple of fans, you deserve it. You should stop worrying about resale value, you are never going to sell it, so quit worrying about hypothetical crap.

Reply to
Paul Broadway

On 3 Nov 2005 08:29:27 -0800, "Roger" scribbled this interesting note:

Are you going to sell it? Or do you want it to fit you? If you want to sell it, repair it to original and sell it now, otherwise do what you want with it, not what some hypothetical future buyer might prefer...

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis