OT firing order

Friend who is a home-built airplane nut pointed me to the following link- type-1 and type-4 VW engines for airplanes:

Horsepower ratings seem to be very low. What do they measure differently? And check out the firing order.

Whazup?

Reply to
J Stafford

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 09:27:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@stafford.net (J Stafford) ran around screaming and yelling:

maybe they have the engine going in "reverse" rotation? maybe they are stating the order in CC?...maybe they want us to ask questions? J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Still seems very low. And the firing order?

Reply to
J Stafford

I was wrong... they do turn them at 3400 rpm... maybe they have a very conservative cam...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 23:20:08 -0400, "VWGirl" ran around screaming and yelling:

nothing...but in difference in 1432 and the 1234(as stated on the site) would have to be the rotation... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Dear Freddy (and the Group),

Steve's standard engines come equipped with the Slick model 2-266 magneto (an aircraft part). (ie, Steve Bennett, owner of Great Plains Aircraft engines, etc.)

The Slick has large numbers cast into the ignition lead cover 1, 2, 3, 4... which relfects the firing order OF THE MAGNETO.

The VW engine's firing order does not change; the cam is a standard Scat after-market item; the cylinders retain their same VW-standard numbering arrangement.

When using a non-VW magneto (*) with a VW engine, you simply wire the leads to the appropriate spark plugs. (* VW's Industrial Engine Division offered a suitably marked magneto for use with their crank-start engines that did not have an electrical system. Most were made by Vertex-Scintilla but for a few years VW manufactured its own mag, a modified version of the WWII Bosch unit. But for a flying VW, any 4-hole magneto can be made to work if you can figure out how to mount the thing. VW's have flown with Lucas, Farmall, Bendix and Mallory... that I know of, and probably many others that I don't :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

You Win!

Reply to
J Stafford

So, the order mentioned in the website is the order on the magneto cap.1 goes to #1 cyl,2 goes to#2 and so on.My eldest son works as a machinist(actually both sons are hi tech whiz bang machinists),and his previous job was in the aircraft industry.I know about as much about aircraft terminology as brain surgery.The gain made from reversing 2 cylinders firing order would probably be zero.I imagine VW had all the tosional stess of the crankshaft and the engine case in mind when they came up with the original firing order. Thanks Bob, I always appreciate mysteries either real or imagined being solved.

Freddy

Veeduber wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett