OT: For Speedy Jim, Tube radio, Norwegian built in -47

Hi Speedy.

How is your health, you had issues, right? Anyways, I hope you are doing ok.

I got this last night:

And it works! It has connections for external speaker, gramophone, antenna and earth(Ground). The connections are just small round female ports, looks like male "Banana" plugs will do the trick.

The question: What do I use for an antenna? Right now it has a metal pin/screw sticking out of the antenna connector, and when I touch this reception improves, but so does static also.. Do I need to use bare copper thread of a certain length? I thought of running it around the edges of my windows on the outside, I'm on the first floor in a city block.

How should the antenna be connected? As a loop from the antenna connector to the ground ditto?

I have one of those Am wound loop antennas that comes with modern stereo equipment, not very good at anything but better than nothing..

The two stations I managed to tune in was very weak, barely audible, touching the antenna connector improved this.

Thanx in advance.

Jørn.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Yes, I had surgery last June but am mostly recovered now. Thank you.

The antenna wire doesn't need to be bare; actually any kind of wire (even scrap pieces of lamp cord) would do. A straight length, perhaps the distance of the room may work. I would try just one banana connection, no earth.

If you get some reception, then you could experiment with a long wire all the way up to the roof!

Did you by chance see my photo with the tube radio on my web site?

was in 1940) It is how I got started in electronics!

You may get some helpful ideas if you Google: Short Wave Reception

That looks to be a nice radio you have. Enjoy!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Speaking of old radios, this ad was posted on Craig's List (buy/sell/swap adverts) from New York City recently:

What a laugh!

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim