OT The pen is mightier than the sword?

A local heating/air-conditioning company *blantantly* tried to RIP ME OFF to the tune of $208, but by filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Burea and being assigned a case number and then emailing the president of the business that was trying to rip me off and referencing that case number and threatening (politely) to involve the Attorney General Fraud office... I got an email back from the president dude already saying he would refund 100% of my money. Once the check clears I'll figure out what to do next. It was AMAZING to me how these guys tried to operate. I *read* the contract I had out LOUD to the shitbrick who was standing in front of me where it PLAINLY said labor was covered by the contract and he just grinned, proudly displaying both of his teeth, and said "No, you just get a 15% discount. Says so right there in the 'parts' section where it lists parts that you get a 15% discount on." Think again, Batman. I'm seriously considering contacting the IRS *after* I get my $ back from these bozos to let them know how they are creatively billing labor as parts. Don't you hate it when someone tries to just ROB you because they think they can get away with it? Damn, that burns me up!!!! /rant off

Reply to
Shag

I need to try that with the folks at Meineke. Corporate called back this morning and said they they called the shop in question, and they said that it was all my fault for using the emergency/brake in my driveway.

Reply to
Bill Berckman

And more local to me:
Fight da power!!! Power to the people!!! Fight da man!!!They only take advantage of people because (most) people let them.Don't be a most people.

Reply to
Shag

Followup: Got refund check in the mail today and cashed it. Bought "Napoleon Dynamite" on DVD to celebrate. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Oh, yeah... And called my friend I went to school with who owns his own AC business and he came out yesterday and found a very minor leak in my evaporator coil (whatever that is), recommended only recharging it for now, and did. Only charged me for the refill, not for "diagnostics." AC working great. (for now, and should hold for the duration of the "air-condiditioning season")

Reply to
Shag

Okay, action time. First, find the place in the manual for your car where they tell you to set the parking brake, and also get that Meineke statement in writing and then you will have one terrific case to take to small-claims court. I can't imagine a count not crushing Meineke like a bug in vise-grips.

Sucky situation. If you need help make up the day's loss of pay to go to small-claims court, count me in. That's snipped-for-privacy@droffats.net (user and domain spelled backwards to thwart spammers.)

Reply to
johnboy

small-claims

but, but, but john wasn't it you that claimed ford didn't suggest setting the "parking" brake when parking?(my ford manual does, remember i posted it?)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

No, that was my evil twin. :)

I'm not saying it's the best thing to do, and I do believe a cable can stretch. What I am saying is that if Meineke made the justification Bill mentions, then they are big boys and should know better, be less petty, and be made accountable. Squash them like a bug in vise-grips!

Reply to
johnboy

Oh, BTW, I found my wife's 99 Taurus wagon manual and you were right. It does state that one should use the parking brake. I still don't use it.

Reply to
johnboy

I agree...Bill should educate them....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

i only use it when parked on a decent incline....but that is mainly due to being a handbrake between the seats of my workvan....obviously that is precious space in a work vehicle so finding the brake is a tough deal....LOL

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Chris, you also turn and nudge the front wheels into the curb. Right?

I can't tell how freaked-out I was the first time I parked my 66 VW van on a San Francisco hill... but then, way back then it woulda just run over hippies, so...

Reply to
johnboy

you betcha...and i also set the parking brake while in neutral before shifting my workvan to park(better on the trans and trans linkage)....

not a bad thing, eh?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani