Marker pen removal from car bodywork

The local kids decided it was a good idea to use a marker pen to write all over my neighbour's car bonnet last night with marker pen. (little cherubs).

Does anyone know a solvent that will remove marker pen from car paint without damaging the paint? Her car is non metallic, but just in case they make a habit of it, mine is metallic.

I know the first reply will be "what kind of marker was it", so a list of solvents that will not harm car paints will do.

Would bleach be safe to use on car paint, and would it remove the marker?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Petrol, paraffin & meths all work on some pens.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Try WD40

Reply to
Tony Bond

The message from "Tony Bond" contains these words:

Failing that, thinners will take it off, but test a patch under the bonnet or somewhere first. A quick wipe is almost always safe.

Reply to
Guy King

Bleach - probably no.

First try water. After that I'd just try any solvent based car cleaner (tcut, turtlewax, stuff like that) and a bit of hard work - shouldn't damage the car - wash the car with plain water / water and car wash additive, rinse it, then use something like t-cut which is solvent based and will remove the crap and the rewax the car. On the metallic car, use a rag dipped in diluted meths (50/50) with water, wipe on then rinse with water - do not pour solvents onto the car and remember that any areas that have been touched up or home sprayed are likely to be more solvent sensitive than original or bodyshop 2pack paint. Any cleaning product you buy make sure it says suiteable for metallic paints...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I once had to removed black marker pen (unsure what type but it looked ugly when I saw it) from metallic paint on my gf's Citroen C5......

all I used was hot soapy water and a SPONGE....and shi* loads of ELBOW GREASE......worked perfectly.... Worke the sponge till it 'squeaks' - you'll know what I mean if ya work it hard enough....

good luck

Reply to
Musicman

I would have thought normal bodywork polish would remove it.

Reply to
David Griffin

As will any body wax type because they all contain minor abrasives, It's the actual abrasive that removes the marker ink by breaking it down not the solvent in the wax.

Most marker pen inks are methylated spirit based so meths should instantly remove the mark without using elbow grease.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I can confirm that "Staedtler Permanent" and "Pentel Permanent" can both be removed safely with meths.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Then it's more spectacular when you flick lighted matches at them, heheh

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Duncan Wood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And on the "little darlings"....

Reply to
Adrian

Meths or white spirit usually work and will not harm the paintwork although you should keep white spirit off rubber gaskets (It won't usually harm them but some can be affected).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I went next door to pass the info on, and whe said she was going to try some white spirit.

Still not done it though. It's like a big advert saying "come on, write on everyone's car". I might sneak out in the middle of the night and clean it off myself.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Hi. I have a white car and found a black pen mark all the way down my car b oth front and back panels today. Checked out this site for help. As a nurse I use Isopropyl Alcohol at work and used that. Obviously not a solvent as may damage the paintwork. Maybe consider a solvent if the Isopropyl Alcohol fails but this worked for my problem and I know nothing about solvents and paintwork. After the mark came off, I washed the Isopropyl Alcohol off wit h soap and water. Give this a go, it will not harm the paint. Hope it works for you all!

Reply to
candysister04

A simple tip for removing permanent marker is to write over it with a wipe-off marker and then wipe off. It's a good trick to panic people by writing on a whiteboard with a permanent marker.

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Saturday, 1 May 2004 22:46:19 UTC+1, Bob Smith wrote: About neighbours car being maker penned. Bob Smith hasn't posted on here since 12th June 2008.

So lets have a roll call of people that that had a poke at that ancient thread on this group.

Adrian - still alive and kicking.

Peter Parry - last seen 30th Oct 2015, may be lurking, has contributed

10 posts to this group since 2010.

Duncan Wood - last seen 20th April 2015

Stephen Hull - last seen 14th June 2012

Tony Bond (UncleFista) - last seen 22nd Aug 2011

Tim S Kemp - last seen 5th Jan 2009

Guy King - last seen 07th Aug 2007

sQuick - last seen 16th Feb 2007

David Griffin - last seen 30th Aug 2004

Musicman - 3 posts to this group and last seen on this topic.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Posted in uk.diy recently. Never been prolific.

He may have posted more recently as Skipweasel. Used to be active on uk.diy and then shifted off uk.rec.sheds. He may still be there.

I really hope someone turns off Usenet. My first recollections of it 22 years ago were of shouty, ranty, never on-topic squabbly people talking about about nothing. It never really improved, sort of peaked early

2000s and has now tailed off. I have never worked out why I bother reading stuff, let along contributing as it just seems to waste varying quantities of time fairly pointlessly.

I don't spend a lot of time on Usenet as, afterwards, I think of things I should be doing (like now) but what boggled me was the sheer number of posts at 10 minute intervals people like S.Firth would manage over a 48 hour period just to do arguing. I just boggle that anyone gives enough of a damn to do so.

For 10+ years there was one web forum (BMWland.co.uk) I posted & read regularly and it recently died with its owner. I actually feel liberated. No more writing the same old toss for people who can't search. No more reading half-baked ideas (oil must be changed ever 450 miles) and sitting on my hands to save wasting energy on them.

So someone pull the plug. It was probably fun at some unquantifiable singularity in the past that no-one remembers and techno-archeologists will spend careers and lifetimes arguing over.

Reply to
Scott M

To be fair, this internet thing should never have been switched on. I would have had a life ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Who, me? No, I'm not.

Reply to
Adrian

I would not use bleach. I know 75% isopropryl rubbing alcohol will dissolve sharpie ink, but I do not know what the ispororyl will do the the paint finish.

Reply to
carolhama.artist