OT: Yamaha outboard engine blew up

Hello!

------

While quite normally boat cruising with my friends father in law's boat, the engine blew up. Yamaha 50 hp 4 stroke outboard engine. No idea what went wrong. I ask you, who possibly have witnessed more engine failures than me, if the damage pictures would tell you something about what was wrong. The oil spillage and smoke was minimal. Almost no smoke and no oil spill. About 5-10 seconds of slightly klinging sound with 75% throttle and then BOOM, stalled.

Any idea?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The most common reason for this is connecting rod big end bearing failure. From one of the pictures, you could maybe see signs of bearing halves getting overlapped. It can only happen if the bearings are REALLY worn, or if a rod bolt let go.

If there was a blockage in the oil passage or the engine lost oil pressure for some reason, the bearing would run dry and quickly melt/weld itself onto the crank. That's my best guess.

This engine is beyond repair of course, but if you are interested to learn more, see how much oil is left in it and if the oil pump drive got broken or something, that would cause oil starvation.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The reason, I am asking, is to cover up my ass ;) My friends father in law's boat, me driving it with my friend's and my kids. "Did nothing wrong", 10 minutes from the start, normal cruising, BOOM. The engine had been serviced recently and not driven much before this. The cylinders are placed vertically and the No. 1 (the one that blew up) is the topmost. If the reason is oil starvation, that might clear up my conscience. Maybe the "service" done recently went bad.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The reason, I am asking, is to cover up my ass ;) My friends father in law's boat, me driving it with my friend's and my kids. "Did nothing wrong", 10 minutes from the start, normal cruising, BOOM. The engine had been serviced recently and not driven much before this. The cylinders are placed vertically and the No. 1 (the one that blew up) is the topmost. If the reason is oil starvation, that might clear up my conscience. Maybe the "service" done recently went bad.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

What Jan said, check the oil level, the engine should have a dipstick just like a car engine. Surprised the rod snapped, would think the engine just would have stopped from the seized bearing..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I am a bit surprised that these engines do not have any warning system for low oil pressure for instance. No warning lights, no buzzers. Should at least IMO cut the power off if oil pressure disappears. Or do they have some sort of system and it just now did not work or the pressure was there but this one bearing was blocked?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Perhaps the oil was displaced with water or gasoline.

Reply to
John Stafford

The stuff that came out (not much did) looked, felt and smelled like normal motor oil.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Did you actually drain the engine to check the amount? Not sure about Yamaha, but these thing are constructed more or less alike,there should be a drain plug on the outside of the engine cover about 1/3 of the way down towards the propeller.

If it was a modern 4-stroke you would have both visual and a audible alarms for low oil level/pressure.

The last one I dealt with was a Suzuki 50Hp 4-stroke belonging to my father. Brand new, came with the original multi function instrument, it even warned you about the first oil change after some 15 hours(?) of running(complete waste of money, the oil looked and smelled like it just came out of a can).

Not sure about the prices in Finland, the 50Hp Suzuki is now priced at

73.200,- Nok. That is 9.155,- Euro, 7.625,- Gbp or 11.881,- Usd.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

No. We did not have time or place to drain the oil. But I assumed that it would have leaked a bit more out of that hole in the crank case.

I think it was a 90's Yamaha 50 hp 4-stroke 4-cylinder. Not exactly new, but not old either?

Later model of that

6500 euro as new in Finland.
Reply to
Olli Lammi