Pierburg Fuel Pump

Spent a wet Sunday pulling odds and sods to bits and reassembling them. Good therapy and keeps you out of the Mrs,s hair!!. Did up a Pierburg Pump off a T3 ( probably installed across the range) which set me wondering. This one ( once you take off the genuine plastic dust cover still in one piece after

40 years) has the cover on the "outlet chamber" held down by 4 screws. Taking those 4 screws off reveals another diaphragm on the underside of the lid you just took off. That diaphragm has its "pressure" side seemingly taken from the pump outlet. Couldnt fathom what that diaphragm is for, anyone got an idea or a link to some other pedantic olde pharte who might?. While I,m at it my next weekend is not booked up with fixing kids houses and the like so I might get a chance at last to reorientate my distributor drive shaft. Any hints on how to lift up the drive shaft and rotate it without the special tool?. Cheers John
Reply to
John

A std. wooden pencil. Cut off the eraser and metal part if it has one and shape the wooden tip so you can wedge it into the spring hole at the end of the shaft. First of course carefully remove the spring. You can tap the pencil in there with a hammer lightly to get a good, tight fit. Then you can lift the shaft up with a twisting motion. Rotate, and install in the right orientation. When you are done, push down on the shaft with a screwdriver and yank the pencil out.

Note that there are 1-2 washers under the shaft, don't let those slide out of place. Move slowly.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Much obliged, thanks Jan