Need wiring diagram for 70 Beetle Autostick

Going to do some autostick trouble shooting. I know the wiring has been hacked on, so I will look at that. I found a diagram for the wiring, but no legend with it. If anyone could help with either a good diagram or a legend for the one on The Samba, I'd appreciate it. I found one in German, but I can't speak German. I can't hardly do English half the time. Thanks!

trey

Reply to
trey

It helps us to know what is wrong so we can tell you how to make it right! ;-)

Check the electro-magnetic solenoid in the engine compartment for power which should come from a fuse holder by the ign coil. One for the back-up lights and one for the solenoid and they only get power when the ignition is on. Grounding that solenoid comes from the gear selector and that area usually breaks a wire and then no ground is sent when you slightly touch the selector. There is also an adjustment of the selector too!

Or if the engine dies, or almost dies, when you touch the selector.........that could indicate a vacuum leak but I think you are looking for an electrical problem since you want a diagram. ;-)

Speedy will probably come to your rescue and answer your request! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave already spelled out the info needed :)

N7 is the solenoid valve that controls vacuum to the servo for the clutch.

S1 is the In-line fuse next to the coil.

E17 is the Neutral safety switch. It prevents starter operation unless shift is in Neutral. Also controls the solenoid valve in Neutral.

E21 is the shifter contact; as Dave points out, this is a frequent problem.

sw Blk ro Red ws Wh br Brw bl Blu gn Grn ge Yell

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Yeah but Speedy's info sounds so much more sophisticated, professional and technically correct! lol

Tell us what is happening with your Beetle!!!!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Ok, i set up my newsgroup to delete all read, and didnt know it was that way. So I lost what i had on this. doh.

anyway, its not my car, and its not at my house yet. working on it for someone. the trans started grinding in reverse, so the lady took it to a big chain repair place. they adjusted the linkage, wiring, and who knows what else. charged her 500 bucks, and it still didnt work. the quoted her 2000 for parts to fix whatever they think is wrong. I told her I could take a look at it. Should be here on thursday for me to work on. I'm going to start with wiring and vacuum, and see where that takes me.

Reply to
trey

Yes, good plan.

I would experiment first; listen for the vacuum solenoid valve "click" or the whoosh of air as the shift lever is moved slightly. If it appears that the valve is indeed being actuated, there could be loss of vacuum in ancient, leaky hoses or else the servo is not adjusted to pull the clutch completely out of engagement.

Boy, I hate it when those outfits rip off the unsuspecting.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim