pop-out window prices

Jack,

You might expect to pay up to $50 for a pair of mint late model popouts - of course someone could always ask more, but $50 is on the high side. You could get a totally serviceable pair for under $25 if you shop around. Price really isn't dependent on location given the web and relative ease of shipping and ready availability of post 65 VWs and the fact that they add greatly to ventilation during summer months anywhere. Early model popouts are a completely different story as for price. -DB

Reply to
DB

I am going to see a guy next week who has several sets of pop-out windows. I don't know the condtion or asking prices yet.

My car is a 1971. I am interested to hear what others have paid for a pair in good, vintage condition (complete, tight latches, good metal frames, etc). And spec your location - I would imagine prices would be higher in warmer states.

Also - does anyone have a web page on installation?

Thanks.

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Thats why my 56 still doesn't have them as much as I would love to have them. -DB

Reply to
DB

Yep, it's amazing how cheap they are compared to fifties Bug pop-outs. :(

Reply to
jjs

I just sold a set of uhm, 65 to whenever popouts, really nice shape, complete tight latches, looked like new rubber, too, for $30 for the pair at the last swap meet here in Puyallup, Washington State.

Reply to
ekoman

When you say "late model", do you mean the 1965 and later cars with the slightly larger side windows?

And are these popouts the chrome framed ones with the ivory knob ob the catch?

Reply to
Howard Rose

Howard, yes further down the post I say for 65 and newer beetles (my typo for saying post 65, I should have said more clearly 65 & newer), that have the slightly larger windows. Yep typically chrome with ivory knob. Going to the occassional bug show or looking on-line, I see popouts in the $25 - $50 range all the time and they are always for the 65+ models.

Reply to
DB

I assumed he was talking about later model (65 and newer) bug popouts as Jack said his car (which I took for "bug") is a 71 as to me a bus is not a car (but that's a distinction others may not make). - DB

Reply to
DB

what other kind of late model pop outs are there??? I was only aware of two types of pop outs... late model and early model... are there different ones???? unless we arent talking about a bug here... which i dont see where the original poster specified what model..

Reply to
VWGirl

The pre-'65 pop-outs had the square latch plate with 4 screws to attach to the body. And the latch that fits to the window attached to the frame.

'65 and later had a tear-drop plate with 3 screws, and attaches to the window through the glass.

The good news for older pop-outs, is that aftermarket latches are available. The bad news for later pop-outs is that no one makes aftermarket latches for them.

Good news for both, is that the seals, welting, hinges, cover plates, screws, and most everything else is readily available.

has the best selection of quality pop-out replacement parts that I've come across.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

tis true, and I guess we could argue as to somebody referring to a bug as a bug, but I guess most times in referring (at least when I am reading) to something other than a beetle - the model is used as in notch, fastback, bus, ghia etc. I assumed bug, could be wrong and my price guesstimate could be wrong as well. - DB

Reply to
DB

what about a type 3 though???? or a ghia??? my 70 square has pop outs...

Reply to
VWGirl

Thanks to everyone that has replied!

I did a completed items search on ebay, and prices are all over the place. A set which included new welting, trim, hardware, etc. sold for $187.50 with 24 bids. The lowest was for $71, windows only, with 6 bids.

Please keep the replies coming. Also, I thought I read / heard that all the holes are in the body and no drilling will be required to convert a non pop-out car to pop outs. Is this true, or am I mistaken?

Thanks again to all!

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

goin by HIS prices i have no clue what he is talking about!!!

Reply to
VWGirl

Squareback popouts for $40 - DB

Reply to
DB

The holes are in the body for the late model. ('65 on). The best way to find them is to install the window completely, except for the latch to body. Then with the latch and window in the closed position, put the latch plate up against the headliner. It should be pretty durn close to the correct location. Then poke around through the holes in the latch with a stiff, thin wire until you find one, and screw in the first screw (loosely). The others should be right on at that point.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

[...]

The pre-65s also use a different sealing method, a large rubber ring. Right?

Reply to
jjs