Parts Request: correct 71 Westy distributer

Parts Request: correct 71 Westy distributer

This thing is no joy to drive with an 009. My original distributer was misplaced by the machine shop in the last rebuild. The only thing I remember about the 71 bus vacuum adv distributer is that it was different from the bug and *I think* it was different from the 70. v need german master cylindar or advise on a master cylinder rebuild kit. garaged alot before 1990. camping only after that. only about 130,000 miles.

---end---

Reply to
Grape Daddy

Grape Daddy

Go here:

Good luck finding the "correct" one in working cond. You may be better off using the SVDA from:
The SVDA is being successfully used on Type 1 Beetle engines (same as yours).

Consider replacing the brake hoses too if they might be original.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks. I haven't had this thing out in years. . . .past due.

---end---

Grape Daddy

I have in my basement, a genuine '71 bus distributor that is used, but just barely. I rebuilt it maybe 20 years ago for someone who drove it for about a month before his engine died. The distributor is fine, but the engine was old and tired by that time.

All parts present and in very good condition, including dual vacuum cannister (very expensive part), mechanical advance, breaker plate, points, cap, rotor, and condenser.

It's basically like new, but I generally only deal with Type 3s so I'd be happy to sell it and get my money out of it. You can have it for $100.

Let me know if you want any additional information.

-

Jim Adney

Hi.Grape Daddy,Meet Rocky.Rocky-tis time to join the gurus giving advice.Enjoy!Steve "Grape Daddy naxs.com>" Thanks.

ilambert

Garsh . . . me?!? Aw shucks. Goodtomeetcha, Grape Daddy. Don't mind Steve's unusual typing style -- his space bar doesn't work after punctuation. We've taken up a collection.

If you can't find your original type then do consider the SVDA distributor that others have recommended. I, too, find the 009 to be a sluggish piece of junk on my 71 bus w/ 1776 (1600) engine. If you got vacuum, the SVDA might just be the ticket.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thanks, but I already placed the order for an SVDA/Compufire ignition kit. late last Sat night. This Sat [today], I I found my original VW 211-905-205Q in a box of parts. Can rebuild parts still be found for this distributer?

---end--

Reply to
Grape Daddy

Yes, but the dual vacuum can will cost about as much as I want for the whole distributor. This one has a nearly new vacuum can already on it.

-

Jim Adney