Pretty good aircooled day

Well, it was a good aircooled day today. Got up late (always a treat) and found the temperature already in the short-sleeved t-shirt range, sun was shining, hardly a cloud in the sky.

Rolled the '71 into the garage and removed the battery and drivers' seat. finished scraping tarboard off the floorboard, brushed down the rust and attacked the floorboard with MarineClean, waited, rinsed, dried and painted with a couple of coats of POR-15. Now, the floorboards are complete and we're working on figuring out what's next in the second restoration of our '71.

Oh, also stripped out all of the headliner while waiting for the floor to dry and removed both of the rear side panels. They were pretty much toast, so I picked out the ashtrays and dropped the panels in the trashcan.

In between coats of POR-15 (3 hours apart), I loaded up my niece in the '69 and we went for a drive to meet my wife at the bookstore. Part of the way there, all the sudden the music from the stereo gets real muffled. Figured maybe it was the speakers rolling around in the well (I'm using a couple of heavy aluminum-cased bookshelf speakers).

Next parking lot entrance, I stop to investigate and find my new rear well carpet peeled off the back firewall and flopped down over the top of the speakers. Guess I didn't get the contact cement on that part good enough. It was still tacky (after about 3 weeks). Also, being glued over top of some of the headliner material probably doesn't help either. Mental note to try to find some carpet nails later on.

After dinner, daughter needs me to run her cellphone to work, so I stop by Lowes on the way home and find some carpet nails. Buy a couple different sizes at $0.88 a box. Remembering I had a burned out lowbeam a couple weeks ago and I "borrowed" a replacement light from the '71, I decide to buy a replacement at Wal*Mart. Checked the '69 in the parking lot and it doesn't have Halogen lights, which is all they have in automotive, so I pick up a pair of halogens.

Also stopped by the gas station on the way home. Even though I'm just under

1/2 a tank, decide to fill up since I find a "bargain" price on gas ($1.599 a gallon). Takes $9.25 to pump in 5.78 gallons. I guess those on the left coast are already spending $20 a fillup. Feel sorry for you guys.

Get home, replace both headlights, take it for a spin since its dark outside now. What a difference. If you don't have halogens in your car yet, drop by the store and ante up the $18 - it's worth the difference. Back in the garage, I use some of the carpet nails to more permanently mount the top edge of the rear well carpet. Oughta take care of that problem.

Took a bottle of scratch remover and buffed out a black scuff on the drivers' front fender. My daughter failed to tell me that while I was out of town last week, she cut it too sharp at a Sonic Drive-In and nailed the black plastic shelf where you put your tray when done consuming their fine cuisine. Fortunately, no scratches in the paint. Also, removed the wiper arms, took off the blades and gave the arms a nice shot of matte silver paint. Reassembled after dry and replaced them on the car.

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm

Sounds good! It is nice to get everything done.

Reply to
KWW

(* some clipping and re-arrangement done *)

You mean, you can just replace the old type head light bulbs with halogen ones? =CD think that would be illegal here without replacing the reflectors and glasses also. Is it different there or are you=20 using different halogen bulbs than H4?

Thank's for taking part in our sorrow ;) Maybe we need to invade some country with oil resources to get cheaper oil...

Reply to
Olli Lammi

There are such bulbs available in Germany (and presumably elsewhere in Europe too): H4 bulbs with Bilux sockets. They are much better than Bilux lamps, of course, but IMHO

*real* Halogen headlights are still better than that.

I just filled up the Golf for 1,05 Euros per litre. That's four Euros per gallon, more than five dollars. So stop whining already. ;-) I can't even *remember* the equivalent of $1.60 per gallon -- the cheapest I ever got was DM 0.99 per litre, still almost $2.50 per gallon at today's exchange rate.

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Olli, I have been using the Halogen "conversion" bulbs on my 67 old style headlights too for a while. No complaints.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh yea, they ARE illegal here :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Wolfgang

...........the temperature already in the short-sleeved t-shirt range...........

........-sigh-.............

I can't wait 'till that's possible here, makes me wanna take the car out for a spin. But first there has to be a good rainy day to flush the salt of the road :-(

Enjoy your ride.... Roger

"Malcolm" schreef in bericht news:yfx2c.34321$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
Bug59

Over here, at common auto parts stores, the part number is typically H6024. Sealed beam 40/60 Watt halogen filament. Pretty typical replacement bulbs (entire bulb assembly, not a "cartridge" type).

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm

Yeah, the Redbuds and other similar spring bloom trees (Bradford Pears, etc.) are well into bloom.