price for a '63 sunroof

Howdy folks,

I know of a '63 ragtop in my area that is for sale. The car is very original, i.e. original upholstery, headliner, carpet, paint, etc., however the paint is very faded and the carpet looks bad. The good part is that the body and pans are totally rust free. There is no rust at the heater channels, A-pillar, rear window, spare tire well, etc. The engine actually is not original, its a 1600 but its very old and probably doesn't run. The upholstery and door panels seem like they would clean up and look OK (there are no holes in the seats, and since they are originals, you can tolerate and appreciate a bit of the worn in look). The bumpers are originals and are straight and rust-free. The car has sat idle in a barn since sometime in the '70s. The sticking point is the price. The guy is very firm on $3400 and he will not accept less. So is this car worth that much $$? Let me know what you guys think (I'm located in Georgia, although the car is in Alabama). Thanks,

Dane

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Braukuche

Quite frankly I think that's way too much. My 'rust free californa' 65 was in the range of 3000-35000 range and it had the original motor that was still running (125,000 original miles), paint was in excellent condition but the interior was very worn and tired. For a bug like that I would put it at the max of 2500. I mean the thing doesn't even run. How can the guy justify that price? Does it have any sort of antique value, does he have the paper work to prove he's the first/second/third owner? Knows the vehicle's history.

It's just a bug. People like that piss me off. It's all about top dollar.

-- Anna Vancouver Island, BC

65 Bahama Blue Bug "Bebe Jones" 79 Auto Westy "Avy" 58 Panel Van "Glenn"
Reply to
BugBum

................................A totally rust free '63 sun roof can sell for a lot more on the east coast than it would get out west. Just transporting it from coast to coast could cost almost $1000. A bug like that is virtually impossible to find for $2500 here in NY.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I still think I'm letting a gold mine slip by.. I should probably buy up a bunch of rust free calif bugs, and ship them out to the rust coast... Anyone want to invest?

btw, I know where I can buy a 62 sunroof project, with a 1600 and a 69 pan for 900. not telling!

Reply to
vwluvrs

Reply to
Ben Boyle

.....................And vwluvrs won't even share!

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

thats just not true....all the vw's imported by vw are a minimum of 25 years old now...(model years of course)...the 63 in question is forty one years old....that is *NOT* "just a bug" ....it is a classic car...and with classic cars, the prices go up as the quantities go down...they are no where near as plentiful as they were, and the days of hauling them out of people's yards for a single bill are long gone... anna if it is "just a bug" maybe a honda would suit you better....after all its just a car....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

i should have noted the above statement is for the US....sorry

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Ha, JT still telling it like it is and pulling no punches... good for you :o) Maybe I wouldn't have been so harsh but my sentiments would've been about the same. People who tell me my Beetles are "just bugs" quite frankly give me a rash. I'm sure Anna didn't mean it like that though? And yes prices vary according to availability and what the market will bear... I bought my '62 sunroof project with a host of new parts for only $500.00 (Northern Idaho). Deals are out there but getting rarer.

Gazza

IT does seem that with the end of production in Mexico and all the related publicity that the first thing you hear now when you ask about the hulk next to the garage is"You know,they don't make them any more"Just try to remember that they did make 15,000,000 and move to the next one.Non-running projects like you describe are not endangered(yet).Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

..................RUST is the real criteria for whether a bug is desirable for me. I don't care too much about the mechanicals because mechanical problems are relatively easy to repair. Sure, it's nice to buy a driver but the one thing that will kill a bug is rust. Some sellers try to ignore the rust issue and focus on how it runs but they know that there's a problem which is often why they're selling in the first place.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

21,529,464

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

I bought a 63' Rag a yr and a half ago and got it for 4K. This car had been re-done and has a narrowed beam with disc breaks in front and Porche bolt pattern. The interior was redoneand has the orginal 40hs power plant and runs like a champ. I picked it up at the Sacto. show.

Michael

63' Rag 90' Gli
Reply to
O.Wells

Sure I'll share,,, For a small Phenomenal Fee...

hehehehhe]

Reply to
vwluvrs