Antique value: '71 VW Camper?

We have a '71 VW Campmobile, recently rescued from a barn...mechanically it is fairly solid, and the interior is pretty good too although the upholstery is not original, the main problem being that the canvas for the pop-up sleeping area is torn up. The body is mainly OK, albeit weathered and faded, but the areas around the wheels are rusty and would probably have to be cut out and replaced to eradicate the rust. Anyway, I was wondering how much these vehicles are in demand as antiques/classics and whether it would be considered worth it to restore it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If not, it *does* make an amazingly hip minivan...

Reply to
Bill Johnston

I recently sold an excellent, no rust, mostly original interior '68 Westy bought from the original owner, with all the original manuals and paperwork for $3700. A comperable split window Westy would sell for four times that amount. Bay Windows just do not have the cache of the Splitties and I doubt they ever will. That said, they are much nicer daily driver vehicles and I say that having owned both. They are worth restoring if you plan on driving it and using it but if you are looking to get rich off of it look elsewhere.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Ironically, I wouldn't trade my bay for a splittie. Sometimes it's not about money... sometimes it is. I doubt I could keep a split in good condition, as a daily driver on the same budget as my bay. But I love my bus, and being single I have to have a way of disposing of my hard-earned...

Like all things, when the number available drops, the price tag rises. IMHO in ten? twenty? thirty? years time bay busses will be pricy, and splits will be virtually unavailable.

Peace, Antony

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

hard-earned...

Reply to
ilambert

The idea was not so much to make money as to avoid wasting effort...if you have a beat-up '83 Impala and like Impalas, for example, it makes more sense to buy a good one off an old lady for $1200 than to restore what you have.

The van probably has 240,000, and maybe 340,000, miles on it, but it has a rebuilt tranny and a weak but low-miles engine salvaged from a wrecked Beetle. From what I've heard it *probably* doesn't make sense to do any drastic body work on it- but we've never let funkiness ruin the fun of any car...especially if it lets you travel across the country without hotel bills...

Reply to
Bill Johnston

Reply to
ilambert