Rain Channel Rust Fix?

I have rust, bare metal surface rust, in the rain channels above the door on my beetle. The rest of the paint is great. It is chipping at the edges, like this rust was painted over last time the car was painted. I do have a quart of matching paint though, and I was wondering if there was a way to fix the rust there, either by wire wheel or by some kind of rust inhibitor, and use that paint as a touch up, and then blend the clear coats together. Has anyone ever tried something like this? I've never attempted body work, but it's something I'm working into. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
jhvw2000

Well... you can sand the rain channels and ditch the built up rust or so, then

*carefully* (and with some precautionary measures!) you can use some of that rust converter stuff that turns it into primer. Then use your paint over that. As for the clear coat, I dunno. But then, I dunno much anyway so wait for another post so somebody can tell me I'm wrong. :D

K.

John C's proof:

Kidd Andersson

Sand blasting works to get all the rust (protect glass and surrounding areas), then metal prep solution (phosphoric acid solution), then primer surfacer, sand/fill with spot putty, another primer coat and final paint. Unless its metalic or very new paint job it probably isn't clear coated. If the pain matches ok don't risk the clear cahnging it (mot clears are yellowish and change the final color).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Ya know, I read that a lot and maybe you should qualify it with "light blasting" or "media blasting" with something other than sand. Sand blasting can create a lot of heat and weakened steel. It's not such a large area that handwork won't suffice.

Reply to
jjs

You can't get into the rust pits and cracks between 2 metal pieces with sand paper. Usinf a home air compressor doesn't generate enough heat to harm auto metal. Yeah if you use a blaster meant to do bridges maybe. Media is for alloys - like cylinder heads and alloy wheels. Try by hand but each pit that you miss will bring back a paint bubble in 9 months or so. If the metal is folded over there be sure to seal the seam with body caulk (3M or Aveco are popular brands). If you don't care how it looks and only want to stop the rust use POR-15.

Reply to
Wolfgang