Re: Good deal on VW engines?

I've been looking for a stock 1600 DP, VW factory engine for my Bug...er,

> eife's Bug, for the past month and found what I think is a really good deal. CB > Performace has these "Sunday Specials" where they sell VW factory engines for > $995. Yep, that's quite a bit less than the $1300 and $1200 that two other > companies often mentioned on this NG charge. Its even less than a "Virtually > New" engine from BAP, which I have purchased two of in the past two years. > Anyway, the CB engines, it turns out, come from Brazil. My previous factory > built engine came from Mexico, though it did have a Brazillian case. It was > crated in Brazil in a cool wood box with "VW" stamped all over it and came with > VW warranty, which apparently is only good if I haev the installation checked > at a VW de Brazil dealer. Of, I think I will pass on that trip. So, the engine > basically carries no warranty 'cause Cb won't warranty it anywho. The engine > has been hot tested, so I assume I am taking a pretty good gamble that all is > well with it and beside, the way my wife drives, it will have 12k on it by the > middle of next year. > But it makes me wonder, why are they selling these engine $200 to $300 less > than their competitors? Why would anyone spend the extra money to buy it from > Beetlemex or Aircooled or SCAT? > --Dan E
Reply to
Ben Boyle

How do you tell the difference visually assuming an assembled engine?

I've got one that I just put in the car and an empty case (machined for 2180) in the garage that I want to build up.

Ben

"John C %It's easy, you are "comparing" apples and oranges; it's a single relief %engine. We had the opportunity to buy those same engines, but passed, %because they run about 20F hotter then the dual relief engines, AND the %oiling system in the dual relief is better. % %John %Aircooled.Net Inc. % %> But it makes me wonder, why are they selling these engine $200 to $300 %less %> than their competitors? Why would anyone spend the extra money to buy it %from %> Beetlemex or Aircooled or SCAT? %

Reply to
Ben

"Ben" wrote

Scroll to the picture of the engine cases at the bottom of this page:

... put your cursor over the "i" in the circle and it will point to the valve locations on the bottom of the cases.

hth

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.

That's what BAP sells as well as Gervais, Strictly Foreign and Scat. The prices for these vary, too, with Scat being the most expensive. The Brazillian engine I got from CB is defiantely a factory job. Came packaged with all the paper work from VW do Brasil. A totally 3rd world job, too. The ports are covered in masking tape and the casting are pretty rough. In all, just from external appearences it is not as clean looking as the Mexican engine I got for my Bus a few years back. I guess time will tell on this one. I'll keep everyone posted.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche