Re: Replacing shifter bushing - I have to remove the shift rod, right?

> >ismlv wrote: >> >> Ok this will probably be a dumb question but I can't find anything >> that gives me 100% certainty what to do here (even the website from my >> other post). >> >> When I took my shifter lever off and looked into the tunnel, I can >> look back a bit and see what's left of the bushing.... I think it's >> crunched into like 3 rings.... anyway, just in front of the bushing is >> the ball/cup thing that the ball on the shift handle sits into. My >> question is, when I detach the rod from the engine, will that ball >> part slide through the tunnel and out too or does that have to be >> taken off somehow first? I'm guessing that once it gets out, the ball >> cup has to come off the rod to replace the bushing... of course, I >> could be wrong. >> >> thanks!! > > >rod comes out through the FRONT of the car, through a small inspection >plate cover or whatever. >Located behind the front axle tube. > >Jan
Reply to
ismlv

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:42:05 -0400, ismlv ran around screaming and yelling:

it is part of the rod...the rod, with "ball cup" will all slide completely out of the tunnel if you need it to....there is an access cover on the framehead of the tunnel(where the front torsion beams mount) and you also have to access covers in teh sparetire well that can be removed to take the rod out...i don't *think* you have to completely remove the rod to change the bushing...but im not 100% sure on that.. Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

It stays on the rod, it's welded on I think. You slide the entire rod out towards the front, then insert the new bushing, then slide the rod back in. A tip: run a loop of wire or a piece of string under the rod before allowing it to come out of the old bushing.. this way you will be able to lift and guide the rod inside the tunnel. You can't fit your hand in there to pick it up if you drop it to the bottom of the tunnel.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:13:30 +0300, Jan Andersson , who was sitting in a corner eating his Xmas pie stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and began to run off at the mouth like so:

Funny how things can sound if you replace enough words with ...s, huh? I need (another) hobby. :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

What do you think keeps me tied to this hobby ;) Besides yourself, of course.......

...honey ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:18:45 +0300, Jan Andersson ran around screaming and yelling:

sorry...for clarity i should mention that i was refering to not having to take the rod completely out of the *tunnel*... Joey

Reply to
Joey Tribiani