new long block question

I have decided to buy a Mexican long block to replace the engine in my wife's buggy. Right now she has a single port and the long blocks are dual port I know I will need to get a distributor drive pinion, what parts can be reused from the single port to complete this engine. I think I read some where that the engine tin is different on a single port then on a dual port. what other parts would be needed. Thanks for any advice Dave

Reply to
David

You need

intake manifold and end castings (don't forget intake boots). This also requires a carb adapter OR a 34 PICT carb. The upper cylinder tin is different on the DP.

The rest can be used, though most longblocks come with a doghouse cooler (but not the adapter). The doghouse engines run about 20 degrees cooler, but require a lot of different engine tin (and fan) then the in-shroud cooler. We can ship you either cooler (your choice) if you get the engine from us.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Aren't they still making air cooled Busses in Brazil? Its a good question nonetheless and to hedge my bets I have replaced the engines in all four of my VWs with new engines.Hopefully I can get at least one decent rebuild out of them.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Reply to
Braukuche

Reply to
Ben Boyle

it's really confusing. The "mexican" cases are already clean, have the cam plug groove, and have all the studs in there. The BZ cases are dirty, have no cam plug groove, and are missing a lot of the studs.

I THINK that the baywindow Ts ended production down there too. There are a lot of "commonly available" products that are soon to be bye-bye, so it's time to stock up (this is not a sales pitch).

I have heard that these items are not going to be available again, but I do find it hard to believe, EXCEPT I've been trying to get some so WE can stock up, and they ain't available, which leads credence to the "rumor".

Tiger Stripe 009 points

009 distributors (thank you!) Blue Coils 043 heads etc, etc.

I know the SP heads are gone, now you can just get NOS or rebuilds.

The BZ "engines" are single relief, they aren't nearly as good as the Mex engines, and run a lot hotter because of the oil system design (this is one of the reasons why they are $1000 instead of $1400+ BTW). An importer bought a bunch of them, then found out they were single relief, and found out that NOBODY wanted them, they couldn't get rid of them even at a $100 loss. That's why there's such a good price on them, most MECHANICS don't want to touch them.

The new Mex longblocks are an excellent value; if you price out the cost of a REAL rebuild (not re-assembled), you'll find you save about $150 if you do it yourself. It makes the most sense for MOST people to buy it and swap over your parts and have fun with the friends/family instead of trying to save $150, but everyone has a different opinion.

hope you guys enjoyed more useless information. stock up now if you have the $$.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Not useless at all, John. Scary, perhaps, but not useless. What other parts are about to hit the NLA list that we should be aware of? And what is the likelihood that other manufactures might pick up the slack, on say for example SP heads? I for one noticed a big increase in price on carbs lately, but will those soon be unavailable? Or fuel pumps? All of those parts are stamped Mexoco or Brazil, so I assume they are made by vendors who provide the factory. If the factory no longer needs the parts does this mean the vendors will no longer produce for the aftermarket? One would think with the millions of aircooled cars out there that there would be sufficient demand well into the next decade, but maybe down South America way where a lot of these cars are they are being junked in favor of cheap imports??

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

I would love to help, but I do not have answers on this stuff. Occasionally we stumble upon some hard to find (aka: impossible) stuff, but it's slowly drying up. Our most recent acquisition I posted RAMVA about, we have a limited supply of GERMAN 34 PICT carbs (NEW, not rebuilt). I very much doubt we'll have these again, but we do right now.

If you really LOVE the hobby, it would be a good time to stock up on stuff. I don't think plugs will be a problem, but some of the other seemingly "it's everywhere" stuff is going to be disappearing.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Plugs are a problem here in the rual midwest, John. Some might remember my truly stupid rant concerning my bent plug electrodes - caused by using the plug specified in the VW manuals all the cross-reference manuals. I had to search far and wide for the correct (unspecified) plug because nobody but an obscure farm supply place had the shorter plug. (This was for a HC 1776 engine.)

Okay, I'm off to aircooled.net to check out those carbs. What other hard-to-find items do you have?

Reply to
jjs

Lets see...

we have plugs. ;-)

we also have GERMAN 85.5mm piston and cylinder sets (NOS), for the same price as Brazilian (limited stock on hand).

We have a lot of the soon-to-be HARD to find stuff I mentioned early (blue coils (real ones), points, etc.

we are adding some other cool stuff every week, some stuff I thought we'd NEVER see again. Check our "recently added parts" section every couple weeks to keep up on the new stuff

John ACN

Reply to
John Connolly