Rear Disc Brake

I have a Karmann Guia Coupe 74, last Saturday I could have time and install the rear disc kit from CB Performance.

I found Eric Huelsmann's instructions on the web who was very helpfull.

Now I have a problem, the pedal goes too long, very long.

I bleed the system twice but it stills the same.

The master cylinder is one month new ( german ), and the front disc system is 6 month new.

Before the installation, she was working well with not problem.

I do not see any leaks, but I do not know what to do, please your comments,

She is my daily driver.

Thanks,

Ivan.

Reply to
Ivan

Sounds like they were not bled correctly.

This might help:

Notes from Aircooled.Net (from whom we purchased our disc brake conversion kit) regarding bleeding the brakes - There are three different types of calipers used in front disc brake conversions. Our's is the ATE style (pronounced "Ah-Tay" if you are interested), with two bleeder nipples, for model years 1972 to 1973. The only reason for the second bleeder is to accelerate the bleeding process when flushing the system. Since the master cylinder on Super Beetles uses two pistons, you may start in the front. Start on the passenger side, front, since this is the farthest away from the master cylinder on the front brake circuit/ piston. Slip a 4mm or 5/32" inner diameter hose over the bleeder nipple. (You can get away with using the hoses used in fish tanks.) Next loosen the bleeder and insert the hose into a clear jar with some brake fluid in it so you can see the bubbles. Now have your helper push the brake pedal slowly, constantly exerting pressure on the pedal all the way down, then releasing pressure constantly and slowly on the way up. (Ideally you have another person making sure the brake fluid does not get low; however, you can get away with making sure the reservoir is full after each wheel.) Note: Never let the reservoirs go empty or you will have to re-do the bleeding procedure all over from the beginning. Once you are convinced that the air is out of the lines and clean fluid is coming out, tighten the bleeder nipple for that wheel and move to the left wheel and repeat the procedure. It would be a good idea to bleed the rear brakes as well in this order: Passenger rear, then driver rear.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I use this power bleeder. It would help :

Click on the =91bleeders=92 icon.

Click on the =91single adapter bleeders=92 icon.

SKU

0104

Works on most Air Cooled Vws

$59.95 + s&h

My note: Beetle and Ghia use the same fluid reservoir.

Reply to
Jim Ed

That's what I use too, and I love it! Use only very low pressure on old plastic fuel reservoirs. You don't need more than 5 PSI. The gauge on that thing goes way higher.

Jan

Jim Ed wrote:

Jan Andersson