Rear mount adapter for type 1 into Bus - leaking

Hi

Has anyone installed the adapter to mount a type 1 engine into a Bus and not had it leak?

If so, whats the trick. The original oil cover had the nuts with the plastic wasker/gaskets. I bought new ones and it still leaks.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
James Isaacson

The part has a different oil pump plate and a braket that goes over the longer studs. It did not even come with a new gasket. I had to buy it seperate.

I installed the new studs and then the gasket, cover plate and braket. I used the new nuts with the red plastic washers and torqued to specs. I think it was 14 lbs.

However it leaks. I was hoping someone had experience with the adapter as the guy at CIP1 said his was leaking too! Not much help there.

Jim

Reply to
James Isaacson

Are you sure the studs you installed seated? Do they look the same lenghth? Did you check the mating surfaces? could you have split the gasket during install? Did a stock (thick paper) gasket come with it? could the case be leaking right there and appear to be the mount? If these aren't it, I expect the replacement plate may be a bit warped. Is it the (aprox) 3/16th stuff? if it's flat, try flipping it to the other side. If it is warped this may help. The one I got on a bus years ago the was about 1/2" thick. The later ones I saw were less than half that. You might try a thin (stress thin) film of high temp gasket sealer between the gasket and both mating sufaces.

John

Reply to
dragoneyre