Red Light, Ignition Off

This is all unrelated to my first gear shimmys, so I am starting a new thread. Although I suppose all the shaking and jolting could have knocked something else loose?

Anyhow, I came out from work today to a dead battery. I hadn't left anything on, but it was raining all day long here in Ohio and I suspected a bad ground somewhere. I gave it a jump, and it started right up - battery seems solid.

But when I got home and cut the engine off, my red light came on. I have a 68' bug and I know there are a lot of differences between the years and what the colors mean. I am pretty sure a red light for me is electrical and a green one is oil pressure. Now, according to what I am reading in Muirs book, a red light with ignition off means a bad regulator. But if you read my post from just a few weeks ago you will see that I just installed a new regulator! Could it be dead all ready?

I am also finding that this could be a bad ignition switch. Would there be a way I could rule that out - without having to spend the big money on a new assembly?

As always, thanks for the good words,

-Steve Ballantyne

68 Bug.
Reply to
steve.ballantyne

\

If the Ignition switch were faulty, the OIL light would be on too. Horn and turn signals would work too w/key off.

If the car has a generator, then it does sound like bad regulator.

If so, it may have played havoc with the generator as well.

Look on my web site for: "How do I test my Generator ? " and do the tests spelled out. If the Gen passes the tests, get a new reg.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

It would be easier to determine if you had a voltmeter and knew what the voltage at the battery with the engine at 3000 rpms, should be around 13.6 volts

check out Speedy Jims home page he explains very well how to test your charging system.

Kafertoys

Okay, well then I guess that's good news. I can't afford a new ignition right now. :-)

I do have a generator.

The only silver lining here would be that I actually have two generators (one in the car, one in the basement). Both tested out okay a few weeks ago.

This is like "deja vu all over again". But then if it turns out to be the regulator (as I suspect) than I should be able to trade it for a new one. I just bought this a few weeks ago and it came with a lifetime warranty.

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to
Ray Dios Haque

Is this an electronic voltage regulator (yuck) or a mechanical voltage regulator (yeah)? Bosch unit? Make sure nothing metal fell onto the regulator terminals and use Speedy Jim's testing procedures!

"Ray Dios Haque" wrote

snip

This is like "deja vu all over again". But then if it turns out to be the regulator (as I suspect) than I should be able to trade it for a new one. I just bought this a few weeks ago and it came with a lifetime warranty.

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Lifetime warranty! Oh No! That means if you try to get it replaced they come and kill you!!! Aggggh! ;)

Reply to
KWW

sorry it took a day for that to post , Jims wasn't up when I posted. BTW How are you feeling now jim I hope things are going well for you. take care

Reply to
Kafertoys

This has happened to me in the past, it turned out to be a bad regulator.

Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

Ignore all posts by Kafertoys. He's a thief and a dipshit con man.

Reply to
ryan68bug

Well, well, well. Here is what has transpired with my Voltage Regulator.

I took my "new one" back to the auto store and had it swapped under warranty. A new one came in, and I installed it. When this one went in, I got no voltage at all out of it - and it lit up like a Christmas tree (and smelled like a fireplace). So I took this one back to the shop and told the counter clerk that I am not crazy, and I really believe that I am the victim of some bad parts. He agreed, and exchanged it for a third time.

Voltage regulator NUMBER THREE worked really well for two weeks - but has now started to lock up on me. Usually it's when I have been accelerating, and I am slowing to a stop. I get the old red light on the dash. If I reach back and give a gentle tap to the regulator, the light goes out and I go merrily on my way. But - I don't want to keep this up, and the damned part is brand new! I don't think I want to try taking this part back AGAIN. First because they have got to think I am a nut at this point. But I don't want yet another regulator with "different problems".

Is there an adjustment I can do to keep the points from sticking? I was able to come up with some instructions for adjusting the voltage level, but I am not interested in that. I just want the lock-ups to cease. Should I do a light sanding over the contacts? Should I spread the gap on them?

My long term plan is to buy a sold state Bosch and keep this pain in the ass mechanical one as a spare. But I don't have the money to drop another $30-$50 into this right now!

Thanks,

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to
steve.ballantyne

Argh! You've been thru the wringer.

Besides points sticking, it's possible that the relay armature is adhering to the coil pole piece due to residual magnetism. As an experiment, slide a piece of cello tape onto the end of the pole piece.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Heya' Jim!

So are you suggesting that I should slide a piece of tape in there, press it down, and drive it around that way to see if it still sticks? In other words, throw resistance to the magnetic field with a wee-bit of plastic resistance?

Reply to
steve.ballantyne

Yep!

It's just an experiment but it may point you in the right direction.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

BOSCH ONLY!!! I prefer the mechanical ones too! If these are Bosch Volt Regulators going bad then I would suspect the wiring is shorting to ground.

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Well, prior to the tape experiment I removed the lid and tried to gently pluck the relay contact a couple of times. Since then, it hasn't stuck once. I wonder if it was just not gap'd correctly. I suppose I will let it go for now and if the problem returns - I will go with the cello-tape experiment.

Thanks for the help gang,

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to