Rover, VW

Middle of third paragraph: Quote " There was a hiccough - a hare-brained scheme (for Rover) to make an aircooled rear engined small car in the early

1930s which almost bust the company - but the idea was quickly abandoned."
Reply to
jjs

It was the Rover Eight, and had an 8hp 998cc aircooled engine (I think it was a flat 2), first sold in 1920.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It was the Rover Eight, and had an 8hp 998cc aircooled engine (I think it was a flat 2), first sold in 1920.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

It was the Rover Eight, and had an 8hp 998cc aircooled engine (I think it was a flat 2), first sold in 1920.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Very cool. Thanks for that. I found a picture:

jjs

That's the one! And I also know of one for sale :-)