Sagging rear end = coil overs?

Hi,

My 69's Rear end is sagging really bad. My camber is way out and rear tires worn inside because of it. (I rolled it last year at the track). I'm wondering about putting coil over shocks on the rear to pop it up a bit.

My mechanic said turning the leaves in the torsion bar takes a few hours per side = $$$. He also thought that if they are rusted bad they could break.

I see a pair of cheap coil-overs from California Imports for $50.

Reply to
Chris

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:01:02 -0400, Chris left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

you'll have adjustable ride height. :-)

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.

Reply to
travis

It works, but the ride may get "bouncy" and stiff in the rear. happened to me when I added coil overs onto my existing stock shocks. (A kit that had a coil that would just slip over your shocks and and two clamps to adjust pre-tension with) They were Just Right for a bay window bus though.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I was thinking of the Air adjustable shocks, but read they were too squishy, and that in a hard corner the air squeezes out of the outside tire, and causes too much over-steer. (moreso than coil overs)

They are cool though, and not TOO expensive.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Get a new mechanic, mine did both sides in one and a half hours (while taking the time to show me how to do it myself, next time around). I tried coil overs many years ago, and the ride quality really sucked.

Reply to
Charlie Wilson

To get the camber on the rear corrected I think you will need new rear torsion bar leaves or to have them adjusted. Get new bushs while you're at it. I used to have rear air shocks. The give a really comfortable ride and they did raise the rear end. I hated them though because I had to air them up once a week. I replaced them with the coil over shocks. They make for a rough ride and the car rattles when I hit the slightest bump but the do raise the rear end up and keep it up. I wish I had tried the KYB gas adjust shocks. The ones that aircooled.net sells that keep the rear end up. Maybe I will try them next. Joe 73vwbttle

Reply to
Josef

So Let me get this clear, Jan..................If your "Girl"s rearend is saggy, you can Install Some kind of product that not only ill stiffen up the ride, But make the rearend a little bouncy?......................I should keep this post on file huh................???( all in refernce to a "69" too ) for 50 bucks, ..................MUCH cheaper than any alternative

*I've* ever heard of.

Yup,..............might wanna keep a copy for future reference ...............yup...........................

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

You only have to take the fenders off to replace the torsion bars, not to turn them. There was some discussion here recently about somebody having difficulty with the torsion bar becoming rusted to the springplate, and that might necessitate the removal of the fenders. I don't think I was particularly lucky by not having mine rusted up, my mechanic says it doesn't happen that often. You might consider replacing your springplates with a $80 pair of adjustable ones; these have an adjusting screw that gives you about an inch of up and down "fine tuning".

Reply to
Charlie Wilson