scraping sound when cornering

Hi all,

Another problem raised. I've replaced the brakes on my '73 bug. And still the brakes (left drum) are scraping when I take a turn to the right. Before I changed the brakes the sound was also there but I thought it was due to a badly adjusted bearing (play on the wheel)

When I apply the brakes when cornering the sound is gone. I'm a little bit concerned, is this a bad thing, or a "just live with it" thing

TIA Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Replace the bearings and the race in the drum. actually do both front wheels bearings at the same time, inside and outside bearings. use the old race to seat the new ones... you'll hear the difference when they are seated.. they are pretty inexpensive and dont take long to do. The old bearings probably have pits in them. If that doesnt solve the prob, then re-inspect the brakes.

BTW did you just replace the brake shoes? Did you have the drums turned? Makes a difference.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

Never thought further than the brakes.. Wheel bearings... Of course, When they are shot there is play on it!

Thanks Dragenwagen, Very helpfull!

Roger

"dragenwagen" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to