Scraping sound and boom

This morning i start my bus and i hear this scraping noise, resulting in a seized engine. I check oil, is fine. Then i take a spanner and gently rock the pully, found the nut to be very loose so i tighten. After tightning the engine comes loose. I start and engine runs fine, no power loss, no weird sounds. My guess, broken piston ring. Any other thoughts?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Time for a compression test.

Reply to
ah2

My 75 bug had a lot of slop in the crank shaft, causing the flywheel to hit the case when it was pulled out. It would grind badly and act seized. The ears on the crank were also able to hit the ribs in the case under certain circumstances, making just an awful loud knocking sound. Once the flywheel was pushed in, everything turned normally.

My bearing seats (saddles? I forgot the correct term) were beat out and got a new engine case.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Reply to