Shocking

I was tinkering with the front end yesterday trying to get it back together and came across a problem. When I removed the old shocks, I remember them having a part at the top that attached them to the top shock mount. At the time I did not think too much about it, but now putting things back together, I see that I need something to put back there that the shocks do not have. The problem is that the old ones were toast and broke during removal. I just assumed that this was all part of the old shock. Doh!!!

Question, What needs to be used to install the new shocks? Or do I need different shocks? The shock I have were bought a long time ago and I am not sure what parts may have gotten lost or are missing. I have done shocks on other vehicles and never had a problem, but this just seems different some how. The real source catalog has an install kit listed, but do not tell what is in the kit.

Reply to
TerryB

Got my own answer after searching the web long enough. There are two types of shocks for the 66 - 77 standard beetle, one needs the install kit and one does not. The one that does not will have its own dust cover made into the top and will mount to the top support with the hardware supplied. Autozone has them for $9.99 each.

I bet that link gets whacked. LOL

Or you can get them at Advance Auto for $10.88 and they are Monroe 20769's.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone else.

Reply to
TerryB