Sometimes you can just tell its a good one.

Sometimes you can just tell a VW would be a good one by the ad. Even when the picture isnt so hot.

My fund is at $1500 and climbing . I added $350 this month. But I had to give my Bro $200 of it.

Diesel.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Having been down this road a few times myself, I would reserve making the call on a good versus bad example until you see it in person. I've seen quite a few that looked nice from the pictures, "runs like a top" according to the owner, but turns out to be a pile of junk with critical parts missing from the engine, bad brakes, rust on the pans, etc etc. I just love to tell the story of the one bug I went to look at it. One side was perfect, shiny paint, etc. That was the side the picture was taken from. The other side had some nice body damage. Moving to the engine, it had the cooling fan shroud, but nothing else. No forward/rear tin, no cylinder tin, no pulley tin, no sled tin underneath..when I asked the guy abut it he said "I took it all off so it would run cooler"(!) I think he wanted $2800 for it.

Uh huh......Buyer beware. :)

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Good ACVWs are expensive. Forget the myth that you can find a reliable piece of transportation cheap - unless you find a low-mileage seventies Chevy. ACVWs are not inherently reliable.

Get over it.

Reply to
John J Stafford

They ask MORE for old aircooled VW's than they do for late 90's to early

2000's basic transportation in good driving condition.
Reply to
Jan Andersson

In Aust a "heap can be had for ~$1000 if you can be bothered spending another $3000-4000 getting it registerable and reliable. Noticably there is a gap in price then to around $5000 when you start to get something basic that either hasnt been butchered by somebody with a hacksaw or is in a state that wont boost the retirement fund of a mechanic. Its cars that old , that were not "inherently reliable" I suspect. When I think of the grief my Dad had with his GMH thing from new with rust , main bearings being ground out of alignment. When you compare the piston speed of a typical long stroke English car against a VW at the same speed you can see why their engines wore out quickly in Aust ( FWD Morris 1500 needing rebores at 18000 miles). John

Reply to
John

Well, that along with Jan's post is encouraging. I suspect that putting For Sale signs on my bugs, then parking them by the local University for a few days before, and including graduation day just might sell them to Mom and Dad. I got one potential buyer for the '72 who said, "I just love them Bugs because my daughter wants one and if it don't do over

65mph, I'll buy it."
Reply to
John J Stafford

We are literally overwhelmed with snow. 23 inches this weekend.

Reply to
John J Stafford

Would thst be the Mister Bean car??? That is one of my favorites.

Reply to
DogDiesel

It was a developed Morris 1100 which was the next size up from the Morris

850 ( Mini) which was Mr Beans car. After they had developed the engine up to maximun bore at 1275 cc ( you could go 1310cc if you didnt mind putting a new engine in with the oil) they made the alloy engined horror , the Morris 1500. BMC collpased shortly after Like you say, huge amounts of character. John
Reply to
John

Whoa! :)

We have only 12" here (=southern Finland) but it's about three times the normal (at this time of year) and it came down just in three weeks. There's huge snow banks everywhere as they still haven't have time to haul it away.

I've shoveled my daily driver out about four times from a solid snow bank now, although not like those in your picture.

Reply to
Tuomas

Reply to
DogDiesel

Update this morning:

Now for a funny. I ordered some first-rate (expensive) long underwear. They had two types for the coldest weather. I opted for the very coldest-rated pair. What makes the difference for the warmest? No fly!

Reply to
John J Stafford

Oh that's good!!! I have to say I've been there done that. I ordered a super warm coat and cant wear it without sweating unless its 0 out. Say I bet it would be great in a VW. And I ordered wool longjohns and cant wear them indoors. I certainly overkilled.

The good thing is. If im outside at work. I can holdout longer. I keep my mouth shut. Everyone thinks I'm freezing like them. But I'm not.

Reply to
DogDiesel

How do you work around this? Lots of patience while in the head, or wear a foley?? :-)

Tim

Reply to
Taylor

Woha, now that is serious amounts of cold stuff. Remind me never to complain again..

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

=A0

Here in Colorado, I got ... nothing. Different up in the high country though.

Max

Reply to
Max