Cold start flapper.

I'm watching the old History channel vw show. And the owner of a 50s VWs had to run the engine in winter. For about 10 minutes . Get out, pop the hood and close the cold start flapper. Get back in then drive on. Anyone think a cable to the flapper with a lever would be a better idea. Then trying to get the bellows set correctly.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Why do you think you are a better engineer than the VW designers? They had decades of experience. You have none.

Fifties ACVWS had a flap actuator that could be reached in the engine compartment, but it was not necessary to actuate it that way.

Get a friggin clue.

Reply to
John J Stafford

feel the love :)

Come on, there are countless little details in a seemingly simple aircooled VW that take time to learn and notice. We all had to start with nothing :)

BTW my first car was a 1970 1500 beetle. It had the "modern" automatic thermostat operated flap system, but also a lever on the fan shroud that might look like a manual lever. It hooked up to a rod that operated the hot/cold air intake flap in the air cleaner box.

I believe I have seen air cleaner boxes that had a manual lever to operate the intake air preheat flap. Then later on they used a wax pellet type (?) thermostat contained within the late model plastic air cleaner box to achieve the same function.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Was that the show about the arctic or antarctic?

No. Always follow directions exactly. The hat and gloves method is better than frying the engine because you thought you had a better way to adjust it. After about 10 miles it should start warming up.

Reply to
Jim Ed

er of a =A0 50s

My late model plastic air cleaner does not have the wax pellet type actuator. Instead it has a vacuum advance pot connected to a lever that opens and closes the flap in the air horn. Mine is broken or is out of adjustment. The flap stays closed and lets cool air in all the time. If I connect the hose directly to the carb it stays closed all the time and lets the hot air in. I do not use this paper element air cleaner except in Summer occasionally. I usually use an oil bath air cleaner with the wax pellet type actuator since, I was told it cleans the air more efficiently.

Reply to
Jim Ed

I may have remembered the designs wrong, mixed up. I dunno anymore. I need a VW. :)

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Exactly what im talking about? I said cold start flapper.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Was that the show about the arctic or antarctic?

It was the history of VWS. Its been on the history channel for years.

They show a guy adjusting a manual cold start flapper.By driving the car a bit. Stopping , popping the hood, In the engine compartment. And operating the flap. And it was made that way.