Speedo needle

Had my speedo needle in my squareback start to "oscillate" , markedly at low speeds. Easy thinks I, just a broken strand in the speedo cable. Got a new one, exactly the same. Tried my spare speedo, same thing. A month or so later I put a new steering damper on, problem gone!. Must have been some wheel wobble. Incidentally ( you blokes may already know but....) the damper from a superbeetle fits a T3 admirably. Had to pack out the thick chassis end of the damper by a washer. A moment of dismay when the rubber bush in steering box arm turned to dust. Got a bush from the rear leaf spring from a 1965 Holden ( Aust GMH thing for you USA blokes) and shaped it on my grinder , pulled it into place with a 1/4 whit threaded rod etc . The lesson here is NEVER EVER throw anything away. John

Reply to
John

LOL Well done! Frugal in the extreme.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

For some reason I just flashed on the "John Henry in a Speedo" gag! :D

Max

Reply to
Max

Congratulations on your easy fix!

Here was my fix for the speedo needle fluctuations at low speeds in my

1973 Beetle:

Quote from vw-resource It's a good idea to install a new rubber sleeve in the steering knuckle to keep water out. If water gets into the knuckle, it can damage the bearings and allow the cable to freeze--and stick--in the winter.

You can get one here:

Aircooled.net might also have one.

Reply to
Jim Ed

Thanks for the tips gents. In inland Aust we get cold enough temps to worry about water freezing, on the coast where I am it has got up to 42 Deg C a few days lately. Not so much "frugal" Speedy as "needs must". There are a couple of VW suppliers within a 100 - 500 miles or so but they tend not to have small things like the speedo cable seal mentioned. In those situations a part can be weeks away so one adapts or restores. Suppliers in the States are miles ahead of us in the sense of ordering over the Internet. I guess thats the price of having 20 million people in a country this size!. Cheers John

Reply to
John