spring for gas heating electric motor

Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a replacement spring for the combustion motor of an Eberspacher BA6 gas heater? The specific spring I am looking for is the spring that holds brushes to the armature. This electric motor took on water at some point and the spring rusted and snapped.

I could replace the electic motor but for one small spring it seems a bit wasteful. Chuck

Reply to
chuck_townsley

What kind of spring is it? Compression, torsion, flat wire, round wire? If it's something made from round wire you should look thru the assortment at your local hardware store. You can even buy round spring wire there and wind your own.

Or you could try to describe it more completely in the hope that it rings a bell with someone.

I agree completely.

-

Jim Adney

alternate suggestion, if you have a digital camera:

take closeup pic of the spring, preferably next to other small, well-known objects (like pocket change, toothpick, or whatever) and post that pic (if neccessary to a free photo-hosting site). then repost your inquiry (with link to the pic) to 'rec.crafts.metalworking' and this group as well* - should get you good results pretty quick...

*alt.home.repair might be another good group to post same inquiry to as well....

electric motor and power tool repair shops, if there are any where you are, might be a place to look...

dave

Reply to
dave

These were very helpful. My daughter wa looking over my shoulder and pointed out that her hair clips have a spring just like the one I was replacing. She brought some down and with a bend here and a strech there, I was able to reproduce the broken spring.

I will use the pic with a second object for size in the future. Thanks Chuck

Reply to
chuck_townsley