spy photo of last Mexican Beetle

Seems kind of funny having a "spy" photo of a Beetle, but why not?

Ben Boyle

That would look real nice next to my 64.............

-- Terry B AKA VDUBBS Buggin in Bama

- vdubbs at highstream dot net64 Bug Rauchen

--------------------

Reply to
TerryB

"Ben Boyle" wrote

Here's another (pretty good) article about the end of production:

has a nice human interest touch to it, mentioning two workers that havebuilt the Mexican Beetles at Puebla for 40 and 32 years, respectively.

Reply to
Scott H.

I want one.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Actually I thought the Golf (originally know as the "Rabbit" in the US) did recently pass the "old" beetle as far as number of cars produced, which probably also means that it sold pretty well too... I would think though that the "old" Beetle has the record for a longest time in production, 65 years (if you count from 1938, 58 years if you count from 1945)... I can't think of a car that has been in production longer... Mustang started in '64, Corvette in '50s, Camaro is no longer in production, Porsche was started after VW, Model T wasn't produced for very long (they just cranked out a bunch of them quickly)... If Chevrolet continues to produce Corvettes for another 8 - 15 years, which there is no indication that they are stopping anytime soon, they would pass the mark set by the Beetle, but would be no where near the number of Beetles sold...

I agree there is no other car that will be as "iconic" as the aircooled VW Beetle... It truly was and as long as there are people like us, will remain the "People's Car" :-)

Wade Hasbrouck

1967 Beetle (Debuger)
Wade Hasbrouck

...............The current model golf is only sharing the same name with the early seventies model golf/rabbit and nothing else, much in the same way that the new beetle isn't really a 'beetle'. Using the same name for successive generations of cars doesn't qualify as 'being in production' in the same sense as the bug or model T. The same principle disqualifies the corvette. They've kept the name, but the early corvettes were only produced from '54 through '62. In '63, they introduced a completely new car (the stingray) and kept the old name (corvette). A lot of the car names from several decades ago are still around but it's always a marketing decision when you see the same name on successive generations of cars/trucks that have virtually nothing in common with earlier models.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

ALSO Buddy Ebsen and Barry White

, -- vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw dragenwagen

1966 Type I
Reply to
dragenwagen

OK, if they're doing that, why not keep on adding the New Beetle sales on top of the Real Beetle Sales? Surely that'll keep it ahead??

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

Reply to
Ben Boyle