Stalling no idle 71 SB help needed

My 71 won't idle. Whats worse is that In order to even go from idle I have to pump the gas and be around 5000rpm, on the freeway it misses like crazy below very high rpms. If I give it gas when out of gear and hold my foot steady it goes for about 4-5 sec then dies like I shut it off. I rebuilt the

34 pict 3 got a new coil put in a new fuel pump/filter ect adjusted the valves and new points rotor/condensor. It started doing this for no apparent reason although at about the same time i started blowing the main ignition fuse one after another.(the fuse problem seems to be fixed) Any Ideas???

remove *sp4mbl0ck* to reply to tr0ll*sp4mbl0ck*baby@hotmail dot com

Reply to
Joshua

I once had a simlar problem, which eventually worsened over a couple of days. ................Turned out to be a main jet about to fall out.....................fell out,.................nearly never found it but was fortunate enough to find it fell into an area in the tin wher it didn't fall to the ground. Might be a jet loose.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Sounds like a short in your breaker plate or even a bad new condensor. The 12 volts from your coil to the condensor to the points must be insulated all the way to points themselves. As the advance unit moves the plate, check your wiring very carefully for contact against the body of the distributor, especially around the condensor. Colin.

Reply to
Colin

Check the solenoid idle cut-off device (the cylindrical thing on the left of the carb). When you turn on the ignition switch, you should hear it click. Check that it's wire is connected on the (+) side of the coil, and NOT on the (-) side (where the distributor is connected). If those things are correct, then either the idle jet is clogged or the idle circuit is clogged.

About the main ignition fuse blowing off, check the wire that goes to the carb choke preheat element. It usually rubs between the carb and fan housing, and eventually causes intermitent short circuits, which can put your beetle in fire. Roll plenty of duct tape around it to protect it.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos