No Smog Test Required

I just got my registration notice from the California DMV. My 1974 Super Beetle doesn't require a smog test. I don't have to spend $37 for a valve, idle, mixture, and timing adjustment, $80 for the smog mechanic to fine tune the mixture/idle adjustment, $20 for the smog test, and $8.25 for the smog certificate. I will however spend $173 for a new 34 Pict -3 carburetor. It seems like I have to buy a new one every 5 years. The one I have now won't idle if I don't start the car every day or every other day. I don't want to blow out the carburetor every 2 weeks. I seem to recall that I had idle problems with at least one other 34 Pict -3. I just bought a new one. I had 34 Pict-3's that also leaked gas at the throttle shaft bushing. The rebuild shops told me that it would be cheaper just to buy a new one instead of them rebushing the carburetor.

Reply to
Azazel Scratch

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:16:11 -0700, Azazel Scratch scribbled this interesting note:

I don't know what shops you talked to, but the going prices I've found for single barrel carburetors, including installing new throttle shaft bushings, is around $100.00. Why not buy a cheap, used Solex and get it rebuilt and install it instead of buying a new Brosol?

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis