Starving but enough to eat...

Hello,

i have had funny problem now for two times. First time my 1970 Superbeetle (1302LS 1600cc) was driven for about 25 km, then had a stop and refused to start. In the fueltank was approximately 10L gas. Controlled everthing, found nothing. After pouring in 2 liters of fuel of she goes. This happend with an outside temperature of 25 C. Today i was driving on the highway with at least 12L in the fueltank and suddently the engine showed starvation symptoms. Stopped in the kerb, and shuts down at idle. Tried to start again and the engine started well but had no power and stops at idle. Poured in 2L fuel, still the same. Check the carb for iceing (this time is was arounf 10C, but we a quit low humidity (for Holland then), but there was no ice, the carb felt warm and inled manifold was warm enough. Sign. As last resort in poured in the rest of my 10l jerrycan and surprise my good beetle hit the road again. Curious about the reason for this, tonight i drained and removed the tank, check the fuelfilter inside and the air vents and everything was clean and working and in quite a good shape for a 33 year tank. Almost no rust at all. But this left me with a problem: what causes the starvation symptoms?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Claus

Reply to
Claus Gerull