Static 32 degrees BTDC!?!? No way!!! Way?

Another "close enough" way of determining TDC for #1 cylinder is to look at the keyway at the end of the crank. You need to remove the pulley bolt first to see it. When #1 is at TDC, the keyway points precisely to the left, perfectly horizontal.

Jan

tricky wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Heh. When you have broken as many engines as I / We have, you are bound to know what's not "good enough" or "great idea"... LOL Most of what I know is due to breaking something when we pushed it too far beyond it's intended stress range in one way or another :)

Sure, there have also been plain acts of stupidity too but I'll keep those to myself ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Sounds kinky. :-) Thanks for the offer, but I decided to go ahead and actually stop for the day. We're going over to a "NASCAR party" in a little bit. Just took a shower and filled a cooler up with beer on ice. My wife would kill me if I started taking apart engine parts right now. :-) Air conditioner is not working enough to bother running it. Called the repair dude and they're only open Monday-Friday so I grabbed the shop fan and brought it inside and have it blasting on me right now. I think if I sip a few ice cold beers then the combination of that and the fan may be enough to keep me cool. I'll let you know. :-D

Reply to
Shag

Well .. when I first got into VW's I broke a couple of engines.

I have a type 4 with a BIG rattle, and a type 1 with a little rattle that is getting bigger !

As my collection of Vdubs grows I have just swapped 'bad' engines with 'OK' ones !

soon I will rebiuldd my 1st, and hopefully learn alot.

Till then I can just offer what I have learned so far :-)

Rich

Jan Anderss> tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:09:56 GMT, Shag scribbled this interesting note:

You know how we all hate it when you lose your cool!:~)

John Willis

Expect to see a full report with photos on my desk first thing in the morning. DiiiisMISSSed! :)

Jan

Shag wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh yeah .. I realy dont mind being put right if I say something STUPID !

Rich

tricky wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Rich, you are correct in your statement above...but(yeah there's always one) shaggie wasn't trying to get "close enough", he was looking to test the accuracy of his pulley degree markings....and a degree or two can cost you an engine believe it or not....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

hell yeah....i wouldn't admit some things i have done if i didn't think it would help others *not* make those mistakes....i didn't have RAMVA or anything of the sort, so i broke alot of stuff and madea few mistakes, based on the good info the magazines put out back in the late 80's...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Ahh, magazines.. the holy books of infinite wisdom :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

but Jan, the *did* teach me alot back then..unfortunately they can be very expensive lessons...heh...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:19:47 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" scribbled this interesting note:

Those tend to be the ones learned best and forgotten last...

John Willis

LOL important and effective lesson nonetheless ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson