Correct Timing For a SVDA dizzy & 34PICT3 Carb?

I just make short trips in my 1973 VW Beetle. It already has flaps and the thermostat.

I thought it would get the heater working sooner if I set the timing to 5 degrees ATDC.

What is the correct timing for a SVDA vac/advance distributor and a

34PICT carb?

I was always told that 7.5 degrees BTDC with the vac hose removed and plugged is correct.

Would it hurt to set a SVDA to 5 degrees ATDC for cold weather to make the engine run hotter?

Would I have to re adjust the carb after changing the timing to 5 degrees ATDC?

In warmer weather I plan to set it back to 7.5 degrees BTDC.

Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
Jim Ed

Your specs are correct. Don't run it retarded, just keep it at 7.5 BTDC.

Yes you would have to adjust the carb if you went to 5 ATDC. The idle would be way too low and the engine would likely stall. You would lose lots of power and waste a lot of gas. The engine would not run right at all.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Reply to
Jim Ed